Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can i still breastfeed

Default can i still breastfeed

My baby is now 8 weeks old. I started breastfeeding her but after a few days got very sore cracked nipples, with on occassions, bleeding. I started giving her bottles inbetween some feeds and have ended up doing so just about all of the time. She still however loves to be on he breast but gets upset when there isnt much milk. Is it possible to increase my milk supply if I start to put her to the breast more often or will it never come back.

Default Re: can i still breastfeed

Put her to the breast as often as possible. And try to avoid giving the bottles. Baby will (and may have already) learn that it is quicker and easier to get milk from the bottle, and therefore not want to work to get milk from the breast. If you feel you need to supplement with a bottle, be sure to put her to your breast first. This way, your body is getting the signal to make more milk. Supply and demand... And for the cracked nipples, try expressing a drop of breastmilk at the end of each feed to rub on your nipples. And lanolin- apply a very thin layer after each feed. It works wonders! Good luck...
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

You sound very committed to wanting to get baby back to the breast fulltime AND it's awesome that baby still likes to breastfeed. Good for you for keeping it up!
    YES, you most certainly CAN get your milk supply back. Since your baby is mostly formula fed (I'm assuming that's what is in the bottles and not expresses BM.), you'll have to gradually decrease the bottles as your supply comes back up.
    Putting baby to the breast as often as possible is the key to making more milk. It's supply and demand, and your body will respond. It will just take time. You can also pump, which can help bring up the supply. Have you thought about using a supplemental nursing system, which is where the baby can be at the breast while receiving formula and/or expressed BM supplements. That way, baby is getting fed (and only associates being at the breast with food!) and your body is getting the stimulation to up the milk supply.
    Hopefully some of the leaders will chime in here soon. I'd recommend hooking up with a local leaders and/or a lactation consultant. They can help you monitor baby's progress as you gradually replace the formula and bottle with exclusive BFing.
    Good luck.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

Also, to help deal with baby being frustrated at the breast - you can also give baby a little formula, especially if baby is very hungry. Once the edge is off, you can put baby to the breast. Usually, the advice is to nurse first the offer the supplement, but sometimes giving a little (like an oz) of supplement can ease the frustration for both mom and baby.
    Remember, time as the breast is crucial for bring up the milk supply. Your body HAS to know your baby needs you to make more milk. So stimulation, from baby and possibly a pump is the key.
    You could also look into herbal supplements for you such as fenugreek and blessed thistle (available at health food stores), as well as prescription milk increasers from your doctor. That may be right for you and give you some faster results.
    This is going to be a gradual process of replacing formula with nursing, but you can do it with the proper support and information.
    Please looking into finding a local La Leche League leader and a certified Lactation Consultant. They can really help you.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

I'd urge you as well to call al ocal leader (links to find one below)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes your milk supply will increase again if you keep at it. If you put your little one on the breast as much as possible your body will start producing more milk, also using a breast pump after your baby has finished feeding may help as well. Hope this helps

Moving this to relactation
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

How are things going now?

Default Re: can i still breastfeed- to marcielynne, laurasmom,hungryhorace,number3,carpenterg

Thanks all for the advice. Still pretty much in the same position as before due to moving house and not having time to concentrate on breastfeeding. However settled in now and will have a good go at succeeding. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks for your help. xxx

I've had issue with low supply and have been able to increase it so I am now producing 4-8 oz extra per day. I was supplementing w/ formula prior to that.

I breastfed him or pumped as much as possible (typically every 1.5 hours) throughout the day. I used massage and compressions to make sure my breasts were emptied when pumping. You can massage before breastfeeding too.

I also pumped both breasts after his last feeding of the night (about an hour after) and 1 breast before the first or during the first in the morning. I fed him on the other.

Takes a bit commitment, but you can do it! Good Luck!

This website has good reference video's that helped me.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/