Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work and pumping

Question Going back to work and pumping

I will be returning to work next week and I have started a trial run this week of pumping and bottle feeding. LO has no problems with the bottle, but I on the other hand, am not doing so well.

I think I had a milk blister 2 weeks ago and it is still giving me problems. I posted on here previously and got some info. However, after 10 days it was still painful when I nurse or pump. I also notice my milk was backed up and causing me to have hard spots on my breast. I finally saw my OB about it and they confirm it was a blister. I have been doing the suggested heat compress and it's improved but the milk is still backed up.

This adds to my problem for my trial run since I am trying to pump only twice at work (at 11 and 4). But with all the blister problems, my breast has been hard for the past hour or so. I don't want to deviate too much from my schedule, but at the same time I don't want this engorgement to lead to mastitis/plugged ducts. What should I do??

Default Re: Going back to work and pumping

I've never experienced mastitis, milk blisters, or plugged ducts, but I found that it didn't seem to be that important to keep to a strict schedule when I first returned to work, as long as I didn't skip any sessions. I have a lot of meetings and teleconferences in my job so I couldn't always pump at exactly the same time every day. Also, depending on how much my LO ate before I left in the morning, some days I felt totally engorged by 9:30 and needed to pump, while other days I could hold off until 10:30 or 11. But none of that seemed to matter as long as I got the two sessions in. So, if you're feeling uncomfortable, I'd say go for it and pump!
    Last edited by sbrudolph; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks! The reason why I stuck with 11 and 4 is because DS usually nurses at those times, and all the info I've read about pumping says to pump as close to those times as possible.

At my work I will also have a lot of meetings and I was worried as well, but I'm glad to hear your experience. Now I feel much more comfortable about letting my pumping schedule be more flexible.

Oh, and I did end up pumping before 4... I just couldn't take the engorgement any longer!

I am in the process of getting rid of mastitis and trust me...you dont want it !! I have been told to drink LOTS of water... which i already do (4 gallons a week plus) and dr said to drink even more. Massage while you are bfing, pumping, and in the shower. good luck!

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**