Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 week old refusing to nurse...

Unhappy 9 week old refusing to nurse...

Hi ladies!! I have a problem and I just know someone here has the answer.

My 9 week old and I have been doing great after a very rough start. He has been exclusively breastfed for several weeks now, but today he acts like he doesn't want to nurse. When he starts getting fussy or it's been a few hours, I try to get him to nurse and sometimes he will but only for a few minutes but sometimes he just flat out refuses to latch on. He pushes away from me. He just started this afternoon, but I didn't want to wait too long before getting some help.

We've battled thrush for several weeks and it seems I have to continuously take probiotics to keep it away. Everytime I stop taking it, I start hurting a few days later...I don't know what's up with that, but besides my vitamins that is all I am taking as far as meds and I haven't changed my diet at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: 9 week old refusing to nurse...

Have you seen this article on kellymom?
    Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

Do any of the tips help?

No I haven't read that yet...I will now, though!

Thanks!

LLL has a great article on thrush, it's meant for Leaders, but is FULL of great information:

Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family:
    Helping mothers find relief for symptoms and treatment for the infection preserves the breastfeeding relationship

Some symptoms of thrush in the baby are: Refuses to nurse, Nurses and pulls off, Gassy (windy) and cranky, and others are listed. Another thing with thrush is that it makes the babe's mouth itch, so they may begin to nurse and at first it is soothing but then it will begin to itch even more after a few minutes and they'll pull off (kind of like scratching poison ivy).

Also see my post HERE about thrush treatments and difficult to eradicate thrush infections.

Hope that helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

The only time my son did that was at 5 1/2 weeks and it was becuase I had eaten Mexican food the night before.