Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! new mom (2 week old)

Default Help! new mom (2 week old)

Hi. I always new I'd breastfeed, but I never realized how tricky it can be, Let alone the fact that I can't hardly leave the house until I start pumping at 4 weeks. I feel like I nurse her ALL the time! sometimes I just rotate left,right, left, for two hours or more, then again an hour later. She can't be going through a growth spurt for the entire 2 weeks! She has slept for four hours once or twice, but last night she was up for 4 or 5 hours and then only slept 2 hours once she was down. When she's up she always wants to nurse,then gets sleepy, then wakes herself up kind of fussin to nurse again. Can someone just tell me this is normal and other people struggle too? OR is this not normal?

Do I feed on demand or not? If I've already nursed her for a more or less continuous period (over an hour) can I stop?

When I start pumping, how do I do that. Do I nurse her first then pump a little extra? Does anyone have tips on how to get started?

Can someone tell me when it will balance out a little? For instance, I feed her, burp her, then lay her down and she gets the hiccups. Then I soothe, feed, burp, lay her down and 10 minutes later she poops, etc... I know she's only 2 weeks old, but I'm also 2 weeks old at being a mom and don't know what's normal and am finding breast feeding harder than I thought (although there is not an option as far as i"m concerned) and I don't know when I can expect things to balance out.

thank you for listening and hopefully responding.

Geamer

Default Re: Help! new mom (2 week old)

Yes - that type of eating behaviour is typical (and not indicative of a probmem) with a newborn

Here's a resource you may find helpful, that talks more about that.

As for the pumping, I can't speak much to that as I've not done it regularly - but I am sure someone can come along and offer more support about that. Will you be working? Or just pumping for those "just in case" moments? Here's a resource that does talk a bit about the former.

Can you contact a local leader in the meantime? (links to find one local to you below)

- and again, welcome
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=42269
    This should help with pumping.

And the nursing so much is typical for newborns. Just remeber she is establishing your supply by nursing so much. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the links.
    Geamer

I would highly recommend calling a local LLL leader and/or going to a LLL meeting in your area. The LLL leader would, I'm sure, be more than happy to talk with you and offer reassurance. My LO is 5 months and even if I don't have a specific question about BF that particular month (that I want to ask out loud!) I find that going to the meeting and seeing the other moms there and talking with them after the meeting decreases my stress level immensely. Just to see other moms with babies of varying ages and with various issues (a lot of them similar to my own!) is so comforting and helpful. A lot of moms breastfeed at the meetings and it helps to see what different positions look like, etc.

The www.kellymom.com website is referred to very often on this forum and it is wonderful, in my opinion, for really helping you know what is "normal" and what to expect. I also had a frequent nurser in the beginning and also some other issues, and if it weren't for that website and its reassuring tone and its good information, I would have had a much harder time. I would have been convinced that what was going on with us was not normal when in fact it was totally normal. I still get on that site about once a week just to get reassurance and browse around if I have any new questions.

As I'm sure you've heard, as long as she's having the right number of wet and poopy diapers this is a huge indicator that things are going okay, at least objectively.

If you're starting to get sore from frequent nursing (and since you didn't mention it, hopefully you're not - hooray this is a huge positive!) make sure your latch is correct (kellymom site has good info on this or consult a lactation consultant) and try Lansinoh lanolin on the nipples, you can buy it at Target or any drugstore. It helps so much.

So many of us know how you feel. Just try to relax and think of the positives - that you're (hopefully) not sore, that LO is growing and peeing and pooping as she's supposed to, etc. And try to enjoy your time of having your main job being to focus on your LO - it passes so quickly. And it is SO overwhelming. I really tried to enjoy my LO's early days but even at only 5 months old, looking back they are a blur and I miss having that precious bundle just resting in my arms - and nursing every 1.5 hours during the day for the first 3 months!
    Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; May 2nd, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geamer View Post
    When I start pumping, how do I do that. Do I nurse her first then pump a little extra? Does anyone have tips on how to get started?
    I had trouble in the beginning on when to pump as well. It was really rough for the first 2 weeks now that I think about it. I was told at the hospital to pump each time after nursing, in order to help my milk come in. It was exhausting and I was in tears every day for 2 weeks because I felt like I was either nursing or pumping. This also led to engorgement and I was in a lot of pain. I think it was then I discovered LLL forums and read that I didn't need to pump at all in the beginning. I stopped completely and just nursed DS for the next 2 weeks. My engorgement went away and I felt so much better. By 4 weeks, I started pumping once a day, just so I get used to pumping (this time without all the stress and hate for the pump!). I would get very little, maybe 1/2 to 1oz, but after 2-3 days I got enough for a bottle. I had DH give DS the bottle at the early AM feeding and I would pump. This worked great for us since DS drank the bottle in 15 min and I can get my pumping done in the same amount of time. I usually get just enough BM for the next day's AM feeding. After a couple of weeks, when my milk supply was established, I was able to get more BM from that one pumping session, enough for the bottle and to start freezer stash.

My advice is to not stress about pumping so early on. Try and wait until 4 weeks before you start and just try one pumping session a day. I hope this helps.

I just want to say it all sounds normal to me- nursing can have a big learning curve but it gets easier and you will be so comfortable and confident soon!

Remember it's a relationship and any relationship takes time to get established.

You sound like you are doing great!
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

i feel for u mama. it does get better...promise. your LO sounds normal and u really r doing great. i struggled the first 3 weeks...u should look at each day as an accomplishment...my LO is 5 weeks old and challenges still arise (have mastitis) but it really is worth it. and these forums r awesome...helps and comforts u to know there r other bf mamas who have either been thru it or r going thru it now. hang in there...be possitive and try to rest as much as u can...
    ps- i bf and pump occasionally. started pumping when LO was 3 days old bc she had lost 10% of her weight and nurses wanted me to feed bm bottles to make sure she was getting enough. im sur its diff for everyone. i wouldnt make it a chore though.

Yes it's normal. Why can't you leave the house? Maybe you and little one should get out together. I was very happy to have a baby in April so that I could get out with her and go for walks, get fresh air, etc. When they are outside they fuss less.

Have you learned how to use a sling yet? The sling was my favorite thing in the world because it soothed her when it seemed like all she wanted to do was nurse which gave my breasts a break, but I could also nurse her discretely in the sling and she could even nurse while I walked. Took a little practice and growth but soon enough I could latch her on and then let go! It was like being pregnant again with the little bump in front of me and two hands free. So for the first month or so I literally wore my child everyday.

And most days, sweatpants, I'll admit. In the beginning I think the couch is the most important piece of furniture... nothing in your "nursery". Your baby's maturation will be so gradual and subtle, but then suddenly (within a couple months?) this time will all feel like a distant memory. Baby's nervous system is so undeveloped that she can't smile and even pooping liquid seems like a trial for her. And with every new challenge or discomfort, she wants to suck. I know it's hard, but you are her universe right now. One would think that being another person's universe would be even more difficult than this. You're doing wonderfully.

I'm not experienced in pumping, but the moms I babysit for have recommended nursing on one side and pumping on the other side, if you need a really good supply. Nursing activates let down far better than pumping does.

All children and families are different, I think it's harder at three weeks than it is at two.. but it should get easier from there.