Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to start?

Default when to start?

my ds just had his 4 month old appt w/ his pediatrician and she recommended trying out sollids with him. i've heard most mommies prefer to start later with introducing solids. why is that? what are the pros/cons to starting with solids? i'm not sure if i should go ahead and try or not. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thnx!

Default Re: when to start?

A babies digestive tract is not actually ready for solids until closer to six months. And truthfully, there is such a short window of time in a child life when food can be a worry free thing. When you are all the need. As the mother of a two year old who has done child led solids and have since right after 6months, I encourage you not to rush. It's truly so much work. Forever. Your child is completely fine on your breastmilk at this point and early introductions to food can cause food allergies as well as digestive issues and constipation. And for what? You'll get there. Just relish the next two months. When you are all your child needs. This is absolutely the only time that meals can truly be worry free. It passes so quickly. Savor every moment.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree. Yes, technically you can start at 4 months, but that doesn't mean you should or that you have to. I waited until 6 months, but dd was almost 10 months before she actually ate enough to be considered a meal. And she's huge!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I agree, too. It's so much easier to just whip out the boob and feed the baby. My son didn't really get into solids until he was 7 months old, and I loved not having to carry food around with me where ever we went. Besides, a lot of babies that are the ripe old age of four to six months have very sensitive gag reflexes, which means that they'll simply push the food back out of their mouths. I say, just take your time and let your baby tell you when he's ready.

Here's a good starter resource with more info
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

u've definitely convinced me to hold off on the solids. thanks for all the great advice and info. =D