Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Mommy - Don't Know What To Do-OS-Maybe Wean

Default Sad Mommy - Don't Know What To Do-OS-Maybe Wean

I am a sad mommy today.
    I wish I was one of those women who had that wonderful breastfeeding experience, but mine has always been a struggle.
    First dehydration, then relactation. Finally we are nursing, and I thought the battle was over.
    Now I have OS, have tried the remedies with no success yet. Called local LC, and of course she never dealt with anyone having to much milk. She told me to let him hang over my shoulder and nurse upside down to help control OALD. Crazy.

I have posted on the oversupply suggestion already.

If my inlaws found out what is happening, I will never here the end of it.
    I was concerned when babies poopy diapers went from one week, to five days, then four days, two poops in one day, etc. since nursing (versus EBM). He has been more fussy the past two days. Well, today his diaper was very mucousy.

I am not one of those women that will perserve if my child is suffering. I can not live tied to a pump the rest of my life. I need to get out of my house.

If I can't get this under control, will he have benefits for having had BM for two months? (And some colostrum)
    I am ready to give up. They always make breastfeeding look natural and easy in those educational films. They never really let on how hard it can be.

Default Re: Sad Mommy - Don't Know What To Do-OS-Maybe Wean

It sounds like you are having a really rough time...

I, too, dealt with oversupply and overactive letdown- causing my lo to be squirmy and very fussy at each feeding. She was never satisfied as all she ever ate was foremilk. She pooped and pooped and pooped! I got mastitis and recieved horrible advice to pump after each feed, causing my oversupply to worsen.

I don't know your story or what you've tried for your oversupply. We had great success with block feeding. Have you tried that? My lo fed from one breast at each feeding, and I used that same breast for at least two feedings. Some people use the clock, saying that they will use the right breast for any and all feedings in a 3 or 4 hour period. It was easier for me to feed twice from the left, then twice from the right, etc. And it worked wonders!

Good luck with everything! You can do it!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

I agree with the block feed suggestion given above. It has to be done for a few days, at least, to really see any effects - generally. And it's what saved my nursing relationship with DS2. I had to go to 4 hours blocks to make the difference, and thats not typical but for us it's what did the trick. Let us know
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

BTW, a LC who has never seen oversupply isn't very experienced, IMHO. There are a lot of different ideas at this resource. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html Hang in there! There's always the chance that this is just a baby thing and not directly related to the change in feeding.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I had oversupply issues twice now and my ds is only 6 weeks, lol (OS after each growth spurt). This last time, I did 6 hour blocks for 24 hours only. Then went to 2 hour blocks.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Hey ladies.
    Yes I am doing block nursing. I have been for about a week. I am doing about 6 hour blocks, which is 3-4 feeds on each breast, ending with 2 on the last. LO sleeps at night so you think that long stretch of accumulating milk would help trigger the STOP button. Not so far.

How old is he?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

how old is baby?
    things get much beter about 8-10 weeks when your hormones get back into check after birth.

fussing might be a growth spurt, where baby wants to nurse no-stop.

Baby will be 12 weeks on Monday.
    How did your babies act when they teethed? I know FM feed babies get diarrhea when cutting teeth. What happens to BF babies. I swear he is cutting teeth!
    Also his poo was yellow and seedy with yellow mucous. No green at all, and not stinky.

yellow seedy poops is what you want..
    that sounds good.

Could just be fussy:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp