Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping

Default pumping

When I feed my 7 week old son in the morning he nurses from one side. I than normally pump the other side stopping at 3 oz (but I am still spraying and could get more). When I pump do I want to pump until the milk comes to a trickle or is what I am doing okay? i don't want to increase my milk supply(don't have a problem with it) nor do I want to become loopsided. if he feeds on the right side I than pump the left side and than when he needs to feed again, i put him back to the right side and than alternate throughout the day.

Default Re: pumping

That is what I am doing as well. Whichever breast my Keira is feeding from, I pump the other. I do my best to pump until i have at least a 3 or four ounce bottle, but sometimes have to stop at only two ounces. Basically I pump until I hardly see any milk coming out.
    So after seeing your post I am now wondering the same thing. Am I doing the right thing?

Mariann

Congrats (both of you PP) on your LO's and welcome to the forum....

As far as pumping the other breast after you feed off only the first, I think it's a matter of personal preference, comfort and how strongly you feel a need to have a stash of expressed breast milk frozen away for future use. If you are comfortable, not engourged and your know your LO will likely want to nurse again within an hour or so, you don't *need* to pump the other breast. Just do as was mentioned and feed from the more full breast first the next time baby nurses. If you are feeling uncomfortably full OR you have been dealing with engourgement OR you start to have issues with your ducts, you might want to continue to pump or to manually express -- but if you don't want to 'artificially' train your body that it NEEDS to make more milk, only do this gently and not to the point of stimulating an additional let-down of milk. If you are causing another let-down, you are telling your body that you need it to make more milk...so it will.

If you anticipate wanting/needing to have your LO take a bottle of EBM when you can't be there or for whatever reason, then pumping/expressing to build a freezer stock while you easily can IS a good idea!

Hope that helps...........good luck and keep asking questions!
    -Linda

Thanks alot for that explaination, but my right breast seems to be making more milk then the left. Is that normal? My daughter did and sometimes still does prefer that breast over the other, and i do like to have bottles of ebm for when i'm out and that way dad and her brother can help with feedings at times.
    --Mariann

It's best to take direction from one of the LLL leaders but I can chime in with a few words on pumping. I've been nursing and pumping for 4 1/2 months now... When I'm at work I pump both sides and I don't think I've ever had equal amounts come out of both sides. It's always lopsided, and the side with more milk changes all the time. I guess I just feel better when I've emptied both sides completely. My baby never ate from two sides at one feeding, so when I'm with him I alternate sides and sometimes pump the other after done feeding (I never was coordinated enough to pump and nurse simultaneously - ha).
    Hope this helps,
    tsoberdas
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

it does, i understand about not being cordinated--it is very difficult i still have a little trouble nursing and pumping at the same time. Thanks for your imput it does help