Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump Dry, then Block Feed?

Default Re: Pump Dry, then Block Feed?

Ok, so I wasn't totally honest. This is how I controlled it. I started out by doing 6 hour blocks and gradually moved up to 12 hour blocks. I would start my block usually around 8 pm, for his first nighttime feed on my full left breast (my lower producer). In the am, around 6 am, my right was engorged so I pumped it dry (usually about 10 or 11 ounces). I then nursed on my right all day. If my left was full after I nursed him down on my mostly empty (after 12 hours of nursing exclusively on that side), I pumped my left empty, and began his first middle of the night feed on that side. I feed my dd the excess (started out being about 20 ounces and I am down to pumping 7 or 8). I initially froze what I wasn't using for her. She nurses 2 or 3 times a day, some days not at all and sometimes 6 or 7. So, now my routine is pretty much the same--nurse on the left all night long and the right all day long. If he is going through a growth spurt or teething, he might want the fuller left side at some point through the day. I gradually reduced the amount I was pumping, but 1 oz increments, but I can not for the life of me get below 7 or 8 a day now. I am uncomfortable and he chokes and wont' fall asleep if I try to go any lower. On the days dd nurses more, it sucks the following days because my supply is back up and I have to do something to reduce it, or suffer through it by pumping off the extra.

Have you tried sage? Cabbage?

It took me nearly 5 months to get to a point where I thought I had it figured out. It was miserable, but totally worth it now!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Tried cabbage, didn't help. I am now doing sage for the 2nd day.
    Since LO sleeps through the night, how would I do a long block? I figured if the breast was dry, switch sides?
    PS how does your LO act while teething? I had thrown that question out and hadn't got responses.
    I think LO will cut teeth early. He drools excessively, to the point of coughing. He sometimes gets upset sucking and just wants to bite my finger. Sometimes that is the only way to calm him down is to let him chew my finger for 15 min. He refuses a paci completely now.

I just wondered if he is cutting teeth, would that effect his stools? It does in FM babies?

Have you tried manually expressing your milk rather than pumping? I started out pumping and it increased my supply. I then did the pumping dry and block feeding, and that still didn't seem to help me. I decided to try manually expressing my milk in to bottles so I could at least save the milk and freeze it as well as have an idea of how much I was expressing each time. After doing this for about a week and doing 4-6 hr block feeds, it finally got better in a few weeks. I still have OALD/OS but my LO doesn't seem to be too bothered by it anymore. As for the teething it was always hard for me to tell whether it was the forceful letdown or the teething that caused the watery poops.. I'm assuming it was a combination of both. I started keeping a frozen washcloth around while nursing to offer it if he seemed to be clamping down on the nipple. Hope your situation gets better soon.

Okay, quick question. How does OALD effect the poops?
    How much did you manually express? I tried doing this a little, to just relieve engorgement, I had a hard time, my breasts were so hard it was difficult to do. I can get a few drops though.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherZ View Post
    Well, I am going to try a new method to try to get OS under control. American Breastfeeding Journal actually recommends pumping dry then, doing block feeding. I have not been pumping, but doing the block feeds. Generally, since LO is sleeping at night, I have been doing blocks of six hours. I woke this morning fully engorged again, nursing pads soaked. I have still been doing the ice, even in the middle of the night, and am trying this Jasmine tea, which has not helped. I went through two heads of cabbage.

How long have you been block feeding and working to decrease overall milk production?

It's important to note that a reduction in milk production won't happen overnight or even over a few days. It can take a little time for your breasts to get the signal to slow down milk production. Sometimes, a mother has to increase the blocks of time between breast change several times before the difference is notable.

So, I pumped dry this morning, I am still making about 11 ounces at night, which is about the same as what I was getting before trying to reduce. Granted I have not been pumping, but the supply is really not going down much.
    It may take a little time and patience, but with interventions, your production will begin to decrease.

Anyone tried the pump dry then block feed method? I am not sure how I will do this, as one breast is going to be getting too full, just as it has been?
    There is some information about the method you're describing in our FAQ here:

If you have very enthusiastic breasts and the strategy of feeding on only one side for extended periods is not taming them yet, you may need to try a more extreme structured approach that initially does include some pumping. Start by pumping both sides thoroughly so that your breasts are fairly soft about an hour before a feeding. Then feed on one breast for several feedings until that breast is completely soft and comfortable and the other breast starts to feel unbearably full. When you feel unbearably full, switch sides and feed on the second breast until the first breast starts to feel unbearably full. It may be necessary to pump both sides a second time during the day, both for comfort and to ward off plugged ducts. For the next several days, continue to feed on one breast until the other one feels overfull. This will result in keeping baby to one side for several hours before switching to the other side. As your body is allowed to get the "overfull" message, it will respond by slowing the rate of milk production, and pumping should gradually become unnecessary.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    Note that the above method is suggested if increasing the blocks between switching breasts hasn't made a difference.

He has been nursing usually 7-9 times a day.
    I think today it has been about five or six? Had issues with him at the last feed going to sleep. Put him back on, goes to sleep seems fine, hungry twenty minutes later.... He just is acting weird today.
    God only knows. I let him eat whenever he wants!
    Growth spurt, maybe?

I could just scream!
    So yesterday I pumped dry, did block feeds of 7 hours. Typically what is happening during these feeds, is I am LO drain the breast before switching. I was pretty comfy yesterday.
    Yay for comfort! How did the rest of the day progress?

So today I didn't pump. Leaked all over the bed. I had to pump 1 oz for LO to latch on. IT was like pure water. Someone had suggested smaller blocks, I might be more comfy. So, since my left breast was about to explode, I went ahead pumped one ounce and let baby nurse.(4hr) So since little one is sleeping through the night, it had been, lets say 13 hours since he had nursed on the left side when he finally did (at 10am). When he nursed first thing on the right side this morning (5:45), it had been about the same. If I don't pump in the morning, there is no way I can go longer than 6-7 hours without having to do something. Plus, my breasts make different amounts. Usually after 6-7 hours left is well drained. Should I go ahead and put baby back on that side during the day even if it feels empty and the other is full?
    If you're pumping for latch on, the general suggestion is just for about 30 seconds, just enough to take the pressure off.

Could you please give us a description of what your day looks like? Maybe something like this:
    Time Side Engorged?
    5 am L Y
    6:45 am L N

While nursing just now, he made this explosive bowel movement. It was yellow, but like pure water. He didn't seem happy at all. This is not getting better. I even am doing the sage thing. Took the full dose yesterday, started back in today.

Was the stool smelly? Is he pooping more frequently?

I weighed Zach today, and according to the scale he has only gained an ounce in 8 days. Now, granted he is pooping more than he used to, but that is not a good sign when he was gaining 6-7oz a week before. I have to take him to the doc Wed. so I will get an official weight check then.
    Has anything changed since his last weigh in?

Keep us updated.

I know this can take weeks to resolve, but I am not up for that. My body is reacting to this stress. I think I will call OB on Monday and have a chat with the NP. She is pro breastfeeding, maybe she can help me somehow.
    It does get better! In the meanwhile, there are lots of things you can do to help make breastfeeding more comfortable for both you and your baby, such as nursing "uphill", allowing the initial let-down to spray into a towel, block feeding, etc.

Tried cabbage, didn't help. I am now doing sage for the 2nd day. Since LO sleeps through the night, how would I do a long block? I figured if the breast was dry, switch sides?
    Cabbage doesn't necessarily reduce milk production, but it does help with engorgement. Many mothers find it especially useful near the end of a block when the breast starts to feel uncomfortably full.

Only thing that has changes since last weigh in was giving EBM, and now nursing.
    Poops have become more and more frequent. That started as we began nursing. Before he went once a week. As of now, he has went 4 times in 24 hours. Urine output is good. Poo smelled a little funny, not terrible though.

I really think the kid is teething though. He has not wanted to nurse some today, he just wanted to chew my finger. I gave him a little tylenol, and then he wanted to nurse. He is drooling like crazy!

It is possible he is teething. You can also make mommy pops out of some frozen milk, feed through a mesh feeder for teething pain.

Okay, quick question. How does OALD effect the poops?
    How much did you manually express? I tried doing this a little, to just relieve engorgement, I had a hard time, my breasts were so hard it was difficult to do. I can get a few drops though.
    In the beginning I was manually expressing about 3oz.. slowly I got it down to about 1oz and now I don't have to express at all. It was difficult for me at first too but once the letdown happened, it would just spray out and I would get the 3oz in a couple of minutes. I was pretty surprised that I could manually express that much so quickly.
    As for the poops, I know that oversupply and forceful letdown can cause more poops as well as gassiness. My LO would sometimes poop up to 10 times a day when it was really bad. It wasn't watery, but sometimes it was foamy and greenish. My ped said it wasn't diarrhea and he was still gaining weight well so he wasn't concerned as long as DS was still wanting to breastfeed often.

Maybe (as crazy as it sounds) you could try to feed him at night? Even just once maybe around midnight might help some. Alot of times you can nurse a baby while they are sleeping, so he might not even wake up all the way. Also, are you leaving him at the breast untill he unlatches himself or are you unlatching him at some point? I would leave my son latched on after he fell asleep as long as he had a halfway decent latch still. I think this might have helped him get more hindmilk/me empty out better. HTH
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Thumbs up Re: Pump Dry, then Block Feed?

Well, things are going better.
    I did 2 1/2 days of Sage. 1/2 tsp three times a day. I noticed on Sunday night that I was having to use both breasts at the end of the day. (Yippee)
    LO has woken up the past two nights, so that has given one breast a break. Yesterday I pumped 2 oz off the other side, just so I wouldn't leak and be uncomfortable as I went to the mall.
    This morning, my breast I did not nurse on during the night was not engorged. Full, but no leaking and not uncomfortable. So, I have reduced my blocks. I don't want to block feed into a low supply either. By the time I went to bed last night, I was somewhat empty. It was perfect.
    So, I definetly think the Sage helped. It took me a while to see the difference, and it may not be a huge amount, but it is enough that I am more comfortable.
    LO is now pooping 2 times in 24 hours. Seems to have regulated himself quite well.