Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fenugreek & nursing/napping questions

Question fenugreek & nursing/napping questions

The bottle of fg I received says WARNING: NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY NURSING WOMEN. But my friend recommended it to help milk supply. Why the warning then? Is there a health hazard with fg and nursing moms?

2nd question:
    My LO is 8 weeks old. I've been feeding LO every 2-3 hours (except when she sleeps through the night). During the day, she can nap a long time if I don't wake her up. How long is too long before the next feeding? At this age, I'm supposed to feed her every 2-3 hours, right? I'm afraid to interrupt her sleep cuz who wants a cranky baby.

I'm also a little paranoid about her health b/c when we started bfg her, we weren't feeding her enough and she wasn't passing BMs or gaining enough weight. So I want to make sure she eats enough throughout the day so we get those BMs and weight gain.
    Last edited by LostinMotherland; May 1st, 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: missing info

Default Re: fenugreek & nursing/napping questions

I don't know anything about risks for fenugreek... but there is a warning on my prenatal vitamins to consult a dr if you are pregnant or breastfeeding! (DUH!) I think they just put those warnings there to cover their butts! I wouldn't worry too much, fenugreek is widely recommended for nursing mothers!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

what about taking fenugreek when you're pregant? does anyone know if it's safe?

Thumbs down Re: fenugreek & nursing/napping questions

It is definitely not recommended to take Fenugreek while pregnant. It causes contractions and can lead to early labor. But of course that could be a plus if you are 38 weeks.

I'm not a doctor- so talk to yours.
    But I've taken FG for months, and it was recommended to me by not only frients, but a lactation nurse- who time and again has been a life-saver. LO is great
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

On the napping question, I usually go with not waking a sleeping baby. How long is she napping without eating? I think the important thing, is that the feedings average 2-3 hrs apart, some may be more, some less. THe important thing is keeping an eye on the wet/dirty diapers, to make sure they get enough. Now, if she's sleeping all day and up all night, then you might want to wake her more during the day.