Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Natural Remedy for THRUSH??

Default Natural Remedy for THRUSH??

My DD is 6 weeks old and I am at a loss with how to get rid of her thrush! She has had thrush since she was one week old and she has gone through two rounds of Nystatin, and it hasn't worked! Ugh!!! I don't know what to do! I have gone through an entire prescription of Dr. Newmans Ointment, yet I am still sore! I am just fed up with this thrush and I so want the pain to go away!

Does anyone know of any other treatment for thrush other then Nystatin? Do you know of any natural remedies to get rid of thrush for my baby?

Thank you so much, in advanced, for your help!!
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Default Re: Natural Remedy for THRUSH??

I haven't experienced this, but I'm sure you'll get some great replies soon. I know I've heard the gals on here talking about Genetian Violet at some point. Here's a couple of kellymom links: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

HTH!

I have not been through this, but my neighbor said she had and used Genetian Violet and it worked just using it once. I don't personally know much else about it, but you might look in to it! Good luck

Are you treating yourself and your baby at the same time? It's really important to do this to avoid passing it back and forth. It's also important to get rid of thrush in your environment. You may be doing this already, but if not, let me know and I can give you some ideas. It can be beaten (I've done it), but you have to be persistent.

If you do a search for "thrush" on this board you will find several threads with some great ideas for treatment and cleaning.

I used gentian violet and it worked for me. I've posted in a few threads exactly how I did it, but definitely if you have any questions or can't find another thread about it let me know.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Smile Re: Natural Remedy for THRUSH??

Gentian violet is the best natural option. I know it has been mentioned but no one mentioned that you can get it at pharmacies, usually by asking the pharmacist. You spread it on your nipples before baby nurses. It treats both of you. Do not wear any good clothing as it can stain and make sure you aren't planning any family pics as the babies mouth will be discoloured too.

Hope that helps. I hear it works within a few treatments. I tried to buy some today but my drug store was out.
    Tandem nursing, cloth diapering , co-sleeping mom to GRANT (Aug/07) LOGAN (Oct/05) and JUSTIN (Nov/95)

I'm also battling Thrush and have been for quite some time (since dd was 6 weeks! She's almost 15 weeks now!) I tried the nystatin for both lo and me... after 2 rounds, she seems fine but I'm not! So I kept her on nystatin and I went to diflucan... again, she's fine, I'm not! So now I've bought the Gentian Violet to try that! I was ready to start a 3 day course... did the first night and we are both purple! I knew it stained, but I didn't realize how messy dd would get! I had to stop be cause we have my neice's first communion on Sunday and I can't take a purple baby! Will start again on Sunday night and see how it goes!
    Oh a side note... tell your hubby what you're up to! My husband works nights and when he came home in the morning and saw our dd's purple lips he thought she was in cardiac arrest and wanted to call 911! Fortunately I got up before he made the call!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

It's best for baby if you take a 3-4 days off every 3-4 days or so if you're using gentian violet.We did 3 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on and it was gone!! Of course I kept sterilizing everything and washing everything in hot water with vinegar for another 2 weeks or so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

On your days off do you do Nystatin, or nothing? I'm hoping the GV works! I can't wait to give it a shot next week (I feel so vain waiting, but I don't think the grandparents/ great-grandparents and cousins/aunts/uncles want to meet our little purple people eater!)
    Thanks!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I work full time, so I continued to put it on my nipples while I was away from her but I didn't apply it to her mouth during our days off. She probably still got a little from what was left on my nipples when I got home, but none directly.
    --Anonymous

Many to you, having thrush sucks! I'm all about natural remedies myself, following LL and kellymom articles I was able to get rid of the stuff using Gentian Violet - my pharmacist mixed it without the alcohol component which was nice. Gentian violet is incredibly staining so wear old pj and bodies you feel comfortable throwing away later on. Be sure to sterilize often any clothing that touches your breast or DD's mouth with boiling water. Make sure to take care of any crevaces your nipples might have, for thrush will love to cultivate itself in them and try to keep your nipples dry, air them out from time to time.
    Since thrush is a yeast infection I also changed my diet to regularize my stomach's ph for as long as I had thrush. That meant no sugar, no fruits, no white bread, no alcohol and no lettuce - basically any food that would ferment in the stomach or create lots of sugar by fermenting. I also took supplements to help my stomach along, yeast powder, echinacea, garlic and grapefruit seed extract. You can find these at your local organic store or online. The diet change helped my DS gas that had gotten worse from thrush. The poor thing was all ballooned up! I found an immediate relief from pain using gentian. I kept it up for about 1week 1/2 and then it was gone - yeay! I celebrated by eating a big piece of chocolate truffle and nice a glass of red wine. A bit of a sweet tooth I am
    Last edited by joemoe; May 3rd, 2008 at 01:34 PM.