Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething....clamp & pull...ouch!

Default teething....clamp & pull...ouch!

i wasn't sure where to post this, but since it ties in with bf i thought i'd post here.

since my 4 month old has begun teething, his feeds have become more frequent and shorter. after about 5 min he'll get very fussy and clamp down and pull at the nipple. i feed him in a cradle hold on a boppy pillow and whatever side he's lying on he'll pull in that direction and continue to rub his cheek that way.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease his pain and also my own when i'm bf-ing.

throughout the day i give him teething rings to chew on. he loves to chew down on my thumb knuckle. my pediatrician suggested tylenol, but i'd prefer not to give it unless all other options fail and if he seems to really need it.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thnx!

Default Re: teething....clamp & pull...ouch!

Some of the things that I've tried for teething:
    1.a partially wet washcloth put in the freezer to chew on
    2.Soothies makes a teething pacifier that he likes a lot even though he doesn't take a normal pacifier
    3. When he seems more irritated than normal from teething, I have given him Hyland's Teething tablets which are homeopathic.

When DS would do the clamping down and pulling while nursing, I would pull him off and say "no".. I would keep doing it until he stopped. Sometimes it would be 3-4 times and sometimes he would just start crying so I would then give him the frozen washcloth or teething pacifier for a few minutes to get it out of his system before latching him back on. Hope it starts getting better for you soon!

i know your against tylenol but i find if you just put a few drops on your finger ad rub it into their gums it helps a lot and it isnt giving them a whole dose, but im at my wits end with teething as well LOL and i swore i wouldnt use tylenol but watching her in pain was enough to make me use it.
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

pulling on nipple, as well as turning head while holding onto nipple can sometimes be a sign that they are wanting a faster flow of milk. When DD was around 3 months she started wiggling a lot at the breast and pulling on my nipple. I started drinking a lot more water and started taking fenugreek and it solved the problem for me.

As far as teething, I've heard a lot of moms will keep something nearby for when they start biting. I've heard a frozen washcloth is very helpful. GL

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

thnx for all the help ladies.

i'm gonna start with trying the frozen washcloth. do u just use any ordinary washcloth & put it in the freezer? do u have to wet it a little first?

I try and use a smaller all cotton baby washcloth so it's easier for him to hold. I wet about half of it and wring it out and then put in to a ziploc baggie. That way he has a dry part of it to hold on to that doesn't get too wet. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mylittlemonkey View Post
    I try and use a smaller all cotton baby washcloth so it's easier for him to hold. I wet about half of it and wring it out and then put in to a ziploc baggie. That way he has a dry part of it to hold on to that doesn't get too wet. Good luck!
    gonna go try that now. great tip about keeping half of it dry to hold on to. thanks so much!