Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Signs your milk is running low?

Question Signs your milk is running low?

Are there any signs you milk is starting to run low? I am just trying figure out what is up with dd2. I mean 6months ago if she misses one feeding my breasts are so engorged they hurt and I am leaking all over the place. Now, I hardly feel engorged or even fully. Most of the time I am so soft I can not tell which breast she had last.

She is almost 9months and I know there is a growth spurt (which I think she has been in for three weeks) but I just can not figure out if we are still doing well.

Her is her scedule for 24hrs:
    1230am - 130 she will wake and nurse for 15min and we will nod off and then I wake about 1hr later and put her back in her crib.

3amish she wakes and same thing again.

5amish same thing (a few times she will wake and it will take me an hour to get her back down)

630am she is up she will feed for about five min and she is off to playland.

730ish I will try to nurse her but she will not want anything

815ish I feed her breakfast

9-10am first nap which lasts from 20min- 45min

11230 - noon lunch

1pm lurse and 2nd nap

2pmish up

4-430 nurse again for about 15min for a short 15min nap

5-530pm dinner

630-700pm nurse for the end of the day

1030 - 1am wakes to start again.

I am wondering if all the nursing means she is not getting enough milk. If I should be offereing both breast at her age. If my milk is running low.

Dh just thinks I am worried too much and my supply has regulated itself. I have one bag of milk in the freezer left. I have not pumped in a month and do not have a need to pump.

Thanks for your help and thoughts
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Signs your milk is running low?

Hi Mama,

My vote is with dh. Although if you want to try to offer both breasts it certainly couldn't hurt. If she doesn't want any more she won't take it. So long as she's growing well and acting fine I'd say go with what works for both of you.

Also incase you have not seen the info. below.
    from kellymom:
    "It's important to note that the feel of the breast, the behavior of your baby, the frequency of nursing, the sensation of let-down, or the amount you pump are not valid ways to determine if you have enough milk for your baby."

More here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Keep up the great work

Thanks the link does help.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Glad to help!

I was just going to add that my breasts are already this soft and I can hardly remember which side I nursed last and LO is only 4 months. I wouldn't stress that part for sure. I would just keep an eye on those hunger cues, if you can. Maybe LO needs more snuggle time? When I have a busy day, it seems like LO wants to nurse pretty often. Boobie is her favorite place to be!

I am the same way and have been for a while.. no engorgment ( except in the am when she hasn't nursed for 11 hours, no leaking, no full breasts, nothing when I pump, i can't tell which side she nursed on last either And I have plenty of milk. Sometimes I offer both sides but mostly its just the one side. Keep up the good work and try not to worry.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!