Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ran out of milk...:((

Unhappy ran out of milk...:((

I am sooo upset!!
    For the past few day DD has been fussy fussy while nursing. Bobbing her head, using her hands to squeeze my breasts. She cries and cries after feeds.
    She has been on meds for oral thrush and a yeast diaper rash and it is that time for the "growth spurt"..so I thought that was the cause of the fussiness.
    Went to the Pediatrician and found out that she had only gained 2 ounces in 11 days! My poor babe has been starving ( I feel awful...especially since she is 7 weeks old now--wouldn't she have gained more since it is growth spurt time??

I don't fully understand how this could be happening!! Its only been 7 weeks!!

The pediatrician recommended that I supplement with formula at night and to start on Motilium to increase my milk supply. I've heard mixed reviews about the motilium. I've heard of the fenugreek and blessed thistle...and heard mixed reviews for that too.

I tried pumping for the last few days after her morning feed...and I am getting nothing but a couple of dribbles. So frustrating.
    I used to feel let-down...now I don't and my breasts never feel full.

I can't bear to watch my DD cry like she does when she is sooo very hungry.
    She has been getting formula at night now when I know I have nothing left to give her
    I'msoo ready to give up with the BF....With formula, me and hubby can see how much she is getting and she was just so content after her evening feed yesterday.

Default Re: ran out of milk...:((

Eat oatmeal and drink lots of water! That has helped me improve my supply. The oatmeal can be in any form - not just cooked for breakfast. A lot of moms have had luck with fenugreek, but I have never tried it.

Bring your baby to your breast as much as possible. This will tell your body to make more milk. Bring baby to the breast before you supplement - any drops of bm that they get are precious and it tells your body to make more!

How are your baby's diapers? Enough wets and dirties? That is a good indication they are getting enough to eat. Your baby is still gaining weight, so that's good. Pumping after you bring baby to the breast may help, too. Anything that tells your body to make more milk

Hang in there, it is totally worth it! Keep us posted
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

On weight gain...was it the same scale? Was your baby weighed wearing/not wearing the same thing as previously? Had your lo just had a bowel movement? All these things can contribute to it seeming like your lo is not gaining well, too.
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I'm sorry you are going through this. If you don't want to take a prescription medication, then I would try out fenugreek. DD started doing some very similar things you are describing (she was moving a lot at the breast, pulling at the nipple, turning her head while holding onto the nipple, etc.) I started taking fenugreek and really upped my water in-take. It solved the problem. I was never sure if it was the water or the fenugreek, but it seems like whenever I do take fenugreek, my supply increases. So, it's worth a shot. Don't give up yet. Also, put baby to breast often throughout the day. The more you have baby suckling, the more your breasts will be stimulated to make more milk.

I know that feeling of looking back and realizing your baby has been trying to tell you she wants more It's not a good feeling, so I'm glad you have a content baby Abot pumping after feeding. That is a great idea, but don't even think about how much is coming out b/c that will only make you stress out which will in turn cause you to pump less. Just think of pumping after feedings as more nipple stimulation to cue your body to make milk. Pumping is NOT a reliable indicator of how much milk you have in your breasts. It's just not.

You can do this!!

Keep us updated!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by climberbaby View Post
    I am sooo upset!! For the past few day DD has been fussy fussy while nursing. Bobbing her head, using her hands to squeeze my breasts. She cries and cries after feeds.
    You sound concerned and frustrated.

I have read your post and have a lot of questions that will help me to offer you more information and suggestions.

She has been on meds for oral thrush and a yeast diaper rash and it is that time for the "growth spurt"..so I thought that was the cause of the fussiness. Went to the Pediatrician and found out that she had only gained 2 ounces in 11 days! My poor babe has been starving ( I feel awful...especially since she is 7 weeks old now--wouldn't she have gained more since it is growth spurt time??
    Oral thrush can certainly cause a baby to have difficulty feeding, as it can be very painful.

What type of medication is your baby on? How long has she been on it? Are you also being treated for thrush?

What was your baby's birth weight? Lowest weight? Weight now?

How many wet and poopy diapers is your baby having in 24 hours?

Is your baby growing in length and head circumference? Meeting her milestones? Generally alert and content?

The pediatrician recommended that I supplement with formula at night and to start on Motilium to increase my milk supply.
    How do you feel about those recommendations?

I've heard mixed reviews about the motilium. I've heard of the fenugreek and blessed thistle...and heard mixed reviews for that too.
    What concerns you the most about taking herbal or prescription galactagogue (milk increasers)? Would you like some information on the galactagogues you mentioned? I would be glad to gather and post it (or private message it) for you.

I tried pumping for the last few days after her morning feed...and I am getting nothing but a couple of dribbles. So frustrating. I used to feel let-down...now I don't and my breasts never feel full.
    Not being able to pump, not feeling let-down, and not feeling "full" are not reliable signs of low milk. Please see the following links for more information:
    Do I have enough milk?
    My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased? (non-LLL resource)

What time of day are you pumping? Just one time a day or more? What type of pump are you using?

Some mothers find that pumping before or during the first morning feeding yields more milk for their efforts. Another thing that can help is combining compression/hand expression with pumping. Here is a video that shows how and explains why this works to increase overall milk production:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

I can't bear to watch my DD cry like she does when she is sooo very hungry. She has been getting formula at night now when I know I have nothing left to give her. I'm soo ready to give up with the BF....With formula, me and hubby can see how much she is getting and she was just so content after her evening feed yesterday.

How many total ounces of formula is your baby taking per 24 hours? How many total times is your baby nursing in 24 hours?

What signals to you that you have no more milk for that nursing session?

In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen? What are your breastfeeding goals?

Do you have breastfeeding support such as an IBCLC, LLL Leader, or WIC peer counselor?

We're here to help! Please keep us updated.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. It is great to know that there are so many moms out there who have been there and understand and can offer wisdom!

What type of medication is your baby on? How long has she been on it? Are you also being treated for thrush?

DD is on nystatin 100,00 units 4 times a day. Instead of giving her the medication to ingest I have been using a q-tip and rubbing it on the patches along side her mouth and tongue. She's been on it for 10 days now. She was on a nystatin ointment for her bottom...but that didn't work, so she's now on canesten and so am I. Her bottom looks SO much better now

What was your baby's birth weight? Lowest weight? Weight now?
    Born at 6lbs 5 oz. Lowest was 6 lbs and now at 9lbs 2ounces

How many wet and poopy diapers is your baby having in 24 hours?
    7-9 wet diapers...she hasn't had a poop in 2 days..it'll be 3 days if she doesn't go by today...which worries me, but then again I've heard this can be common with BF infants. Should I be concerned about this considering the new circumstances??

Is your baby growing in length and head circumference? Meeting her milestones? Generally alert and content?
    She was born at 19.5 inches and was 21 at the last check up. Head circimference is also up by 4 cms. She's meeting most of her milestones...still waiting for that real smile though!
    She is alert...content? Can't say she has been lately...during her awake times she is half calm and the other half cranky and crying.

How do you feel about those recommendations?
    After thinking about my DD being so hungry and me not being able to met her needs...I am willing to do what will work to meet her needs. I am trying to pump ( not much success at this point yet)... I am being more conscious of increasing my water intake and food...We have given her formula on 2 occasions- the last two evenings since DD was acting so hungry and frustrated and would not settle after being on my breasts for 40 minutes. I have the prescription for the motilium...haven't filled it yet.

What concerns you the most about taking herbal or prescription galactagogue (milk increasers)? Would you like some information on the galactagogues you mentioned? I would be glad to gather and post it (or private message it) for you.

I would love more information on this!!

Not being able to pump, not feeling let-down, and not feeling "full" are not reliable signs of low milk. Please see the following links for more information:
    Do I have enough milk?
    My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased? (non-LLL resource)

What time of day are you pumping? Just one time a day or more? What type of pump are you using?
    On the first day after that Dr appt. I pumped after every feed. For the last 2 days I have been pumping after the morning feed only. I am only able to get 1 ounce and I get scared that there won't be any milk left for when she needs to feed in another couple of hours

Some mothers find that pumping before or during the first morning feeding yields more milk for their efforts. Another thing that can help is combining compression/hand expression with pumping. Here is a video that shows how and explains why this works to increase overall milk production:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

How many total ounces of formula is your baby taking per 24 hours? How many total times is your baby nursing in 24 hours?

She's only received formula twice. The first time she took 3 ounces and last night she took 4.
    In 24 hours she was nursing 7 times...It is back to 8-9 (she started to sleep a bit more through the night for a few days ) which isn't happening anymore anyways

What signals to you that you have no more milk for that nursing session?

I watch DD. She gets so frustrated...I take her off to burp her thinking that is what is causing all the fussiness. But she screams and she is rooting looking for my breast. When she does latch on she seems to be almost biting with her gums. I take her off to try to settle her, then I try to express and I wasn't getting anything...when in the past few weeks I was always leaking and spraying

In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen? What are your breastfeeding goals?

I would like to breastfeed to at least 6 months. I would like to also pump and allow my husband to bottlefeed her the expressed/pumped milk so that they can bond.
    If possible I would like to increase my milk supply in the most natural..but safest way possible. But I don't want my DD to be hungry while waiting for days/weeks to see an improvement

Do you have breastfeeding support such as an IBCLC, LLL Leader, or WIC peer counselor?

Not yet...relatively new to the boards.

We're here to help! Please keep us updated.[/QUOTE]

DD is on nystatin 100,00 units 4 times a day. Instead of giving her the medication to ingest I have been using a q-tip and rubbing it on the patches along side her mouth and tongue. She's been on it for 10 days now. She was on a nystatin ointment for her bottom...but that didn't work, so she's now on canesten and so am I. Her bottom looks SO much better now.
    Yay for improvement!

Are you applying the Canesten to your nipples?

Here is a wonderful resource that describes ways to get rid of yeast:
    Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family
    And another resource that outlines some useful information for yeast sufferers:
    Could We Have Thrush? (non-LLL resource)

Born at 6lbs 5 oz. Lowest was 6 lbs and now at 9lbs 2ounces
    Your baby has averaged a gain of just over 7 ounces per week. That's WONDERFUL! In fact, the average weight gain for breastfed babies in the first few months is 4-7 ounces per week.

9 wet diapers...she hasn't had a poop in 2 days..it'll be 3 days if she doesn't go by today...which worries me, but then again I've heard this can be common with BF infants. Should I be concerned about this considering the new circumstances??
    Nine wets is great! What goes in, must come out.

After about six weeks of age, it is considered normal for an exclusively breastfed baby to poop less frequently. Please see the quote below (and linked resource):

It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week. When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html
    If your baby is taking more than a few ounces of formula per day, and she has not passed a bowel movement in several days or longer, and appears uncomfortable, strains, or passes bowel movements that resemble pebbles, please call your baby's health care provider for his or her opinion. The addition of formula to baby's diet can sometimes lead to constipation (dry, hard, difficult to pass bowel movements).

She was born at 19.5 inches and was 21 at the last check up. Head circimference is also up by 4 cms. She's meeting most of her milestones...still waiting for that real smile though!She is alert...content? Can't say she has been lately...during her awake times she is half calm and the other half cranky and crying.
    Your baby is right on target for growth! Please see this resource for some helpful information on normal infant growth:
    Average Weight Gain for Breastfed Babies (non-LLL resource)

It's all very good news that your baby is gaining weight, growing in length and head circumference, making plenty of wet and poopy diapers, meeting her milestones, and is (generally) content.

Fussiness could be caused by any number of things and thrush is, of course, one of them. If your baby's thrush is not improving, please talk to your baby's doctor. You mentioned that your baby is on a Nystatin swab--it might be helpful to know that some strains of candida albicans (yeast/thrush) are now Nystatin resistant. If your baby is not showing noticable signs of improvement, it is well worth talking to your baby's doctor. He or she may wish to change the course of treatment.

Here are several helpful (non-LLL) resources on fussiness during feedings and between. You might find it helpful to read through these and see if anything sounds familiar for you.
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?
    My baby is fussy! Is something wrong?
    Fussy baby Index

After thinking about my DD being so hungry and me not being able to met her needs...I am willing to do what will work to meet her needs. I am trying to pump ( not much success at this point yet)... I am being more conscious of increasing my water intake and food...We have given her formula on 2 occasions- the last two evenings since DD was acting so hungry and frustrated and would not settle after being on my breasts for 40 minutes. I have the prescription for the motilium...haven't filled it yet.
    Your baby is gaining weight and is growing! Did your doctor recommend the supplements only because of the one weight check where your baby gained only two ounces? If so, I have a few more questions to help us better understand your situation. Was your baby weighed on the same scale as usual, in the same amount of clothing? During the time between weights, was your baby having pain from thrush? Did anything else unusual occur during that time (illness, travel, a move, etc.)? Are you currently taking any medications (birth control, OTC meds, herbs, etc)?

On the first day after that Dr appt. I pumped after every feed. For the last 2 days I have been pumping after the morning feed only. I am only able to get 1 ounce and I get scared that there won't be any milk left for when she needs to feed in another couple of hours
    Even if you put your baby to the breast right after pumping, milk would be there for her since breasts do not need time to "refill". Here is a helpful article that explains:
    Do breasts need time to refill? (non-LLL resource)

One ounce after a feeding (or anytime when nursing exclusively) is very good. Remember that pumping is NOT an indicator of overall milk production. In fact, some mothers exclusively nurse and are not able to pump a drop, yet their babies are able to nurse and grow perfectly. For most mothers, it does take a little practice and patience to be able to efficiently pump.

She's only received formula twice. The first time she took 3 ounces and last night she took 4. In 24 hours she was nursing 7 times...It is back to 8-9 (she started to sleep a bit more through the night for a few days ) which isn't happening anymore anyways.
    The nursing frequency sounds real good. When she nurses, does she normally latch on and actively nurse right away?

I watch DD. She gets so frustrated...I take her off to burp her thinking that is what is causing all the fussiness. But she screams and she is rooting looking for my breast. When she does latch on she seems to be almost biting with her gums. I take her off to try to settle her, then I try to express and I wasn't getting anything...when in the past few weeks I was always leaking and spraying
    Lack of leaking/spraying does not equal lack of production (for more information, please see the links I posted on this topic in my first post on this thread). For reliable signs that your baby is getting milk, watch for active sucking, listen for swallowing (or watch for a pauses in sucking...suck suck pause) and watch baby's diaper output as what goes in, must come out!

When does is your baby fussy? Is it at the beginning of the feed? After let-down? Near the end? What happens when you try to latch her back on after a burp break?

I would like to breastfeed to at least 6 months. I would like to also pump and allow my husband to bottlefeed her the expressed/pumped milk so that they can bond. If possible I would like to increase my milk supply in the most natural..but safest way possible. But I don't want my DD to be hungry while waiting for days/weeks to see an improvement.
    You can reach your goal! You're well on your way.

I do have some suggestions for you regarding milk production, but I will wait for your answers on this post.

You might enjoy this helpful info for Dads:
    What Is the Father's Role in the Breastfeeding Relationship?
    Links: Dads and Breastfeeding (non-LLL resource)

Hang in there!