Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rejection of Breast. Please Help me.

Default Rejection of Breast. Please Help me.

My son is 3 months old and breastfed mostly. My husband gets up once at night and feeds him EBM and we will usually give him a top off bottle of formula last thing before bed. We have tried to do soley breastmilk but I don't sleep at all and then my milk level starts to drop. Well now for the past 2 weeks every now ad then he absolutely refuses to eat from me. He won't even let me put my breast in his mouth. Today was the worst. 3 times in a row now he has not breastfed and throws a fit like I am killing him for 45 min before I give him a bottle. Please don't judge me for not giving him soley BM, it just doesn't work for us. Please help me. I don't want him to stop breastfeeding for a long time.

Default Re: Rejection of Breast. Please Help me.

to you. Do you need to give a bottle right now for any reason? If you don't, I would hold off on bottles, and try to coax your LO back to the breast. Give him lots and lots of skin on skin contact. Take long baths together. Snuggle in bed or on the couch, just relax and lots of skin on skin.
    Giving formula will only hinder your milk supply. It is a myth that topping off with formula will help baby sleep better. Try to keep pumping, and if you need to give a bottle, give EBM. Pumping will help keep your supply up

here is a link that might be helpful as well
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

HTH! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Oh, and welcome to LLL! You will find lots of helpful mama's on here.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Don't worry, Mama! No-one here is going to think badly of you for using some formula. There's no one thing that works 100% right for everyone, and you have to do what works for your family.

That being said, it sounds like your baby has come down with a case of the dreaded nipple confusion. Getting milk out of a bottle is a lot easier than getting milk out of a breast, and some babies do develop a real preference for the fast, easy meal they get from the bottle. Your baby is smart, and he has figured out that the way to get what he wants- a fast, easy meal- is to reject the breast and scream bloody blue murder until you give in and bottle-feed him.

So, what can you do? I personally think that if you want to continue breastfeeding, you probably want to shelve those bottles for a while, and only go back to them when your son is happily breastfeeding. KathrynK gave you some good suggestions- lots of skin-to-skin contact and warm baths together may relax your baby and encourage him to latch back on. If you feel like you absolutely MUST give a bottle sometimes, I encourage you to pump when you're doing it, to keep your supply up. But I think that if you can just stay firm, your baby will eventually decide to latch. He's too dedicated to eating to skip many meals!

Hang in there!!!

mama! It's really hard to have your son reject the breast. The previous posters have given you some great info.
    Nipple confusion can be really hard on mama and baby. Please don't think he doesn't want you any longer, he still loves his mama very much.
    Going without bottles for awhile would be ideal, if that's just not something your comfortable with then there are some other things you can do too.
    Making sure the bottles you are using are slow flow, even if the nipple says it is, sometimes they are not! Check it by holding a bottle with water in it upside down, it should drip....drip....drip. not drip,drip,drip.
    Also making baby latch onto the bottle might help, you might have to show your husband how to do this. Don't allow him to suck on the nipple, have him really latch on like the breast.
    I hope this helps, we are here to help all mother's who want to nurse their babies, in whatever capacity that is!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Glad you're here!! This is an awesome forum with so much great info!

I was just wondering what kind of nipples/bottles you've been using? We especially like the Playtex nurser with drop in liners and the slow-flow natural latch nipples.

I also agree with PP about formula and sleeping longer at night. My LO has done awesome on BM and so do many other babies.

Hang in there!

PP gave great advice/ideas.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Texas020508 View Post
    My son is 3 months old and breastfed mostly. My husband gets up once at night and feeds him EBM and we will usually give him a top off bottle of formula last thing before bed. We have tried to do soley breastmilk but I don't sleep at all and then my milk level starts to drop...Please don't judge me for not giving him soley BM, it just doesn't work for us.
    No judgement here!

How long has he been taking bottles nightly? How much total formula supplement is he taking per 24 hours?

Are you at all interested in nursing at night? Many mothers find that bringing baby to bed with them (just to nurse and have dh return to baby to bed when full, in a side car arrangement with baby in his own sleep space, or co-sleeping in in bed with mom--following all safety guidelines, of course!) is one way that mom can get more sleep while still be available to baby at night. Additionally, sometimes even if baby refuses to nurse when awake, he will nurse when sleepy or just waking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas020508 View Post
    Well now for the past 2 weeks every now ad then he absolutely refuses to eat from me. He won't even let me put my breast in his mouth. Today was the worst. 3 times in a row now he has not breastfed and throws a fit like I am killing him for 45 min before I give him a bottle. Please help me. I don't want him to stop breastfeeding for a long time.

See these resources for helpful tips on getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Would you consider stopping bottles for a little while? If you want to continue with a supplement, it could be offered via alternative feeding methods:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

If that doesn't interest you, then I would definitely suggest to try using a slow flow nipple (check to make sure it actually is slow!), and paced feeding techniques. This link offers some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Do you have local breastfeeding support?

Hang in there!

Don't feel bad for doing what works for your family!
    If you are determined to bf, I agree with the pp. Ditch the bottles, lots of skin to skin contact. Just be patient. The problem won't fix itself overnight,but you've come to a good place where lots of nice mamas are willing to help!

~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!