Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fat and calcium...

Default fat and calcium...

So my lo is 11 months old now She is really interested in food and only nurses about 6 times a day- 4 of those sessions are for very brief ( <5 min nursing sessions) At this point we have her off of dairy, wheat and soy and we haven't tried eggs yet. Dairy gives her a diaper rash and wheat and soy make her spit up. If she decreases her nursing more over next few months I am wondering what foods I can give her that have fat and calcium in them.
    We are going to be talking to her (new) doc at at her 12 m checkup about maybe doing some blood work for food intolerances.. but at this point I am wondering if she stops nursing where would she get her fat and calcium?
    She won't eat avacado. I do put olive oil or vegan butter on her veggies/rice/pasta. She eats applesauce with flax seed oil. Those of you that don't do dairy with your kids... where do they get their calcium? Maybe rice milk? She is to young for almond milk as I don't want to introduce anything from the nut family yet.
    Any ideas?? ....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: fat and calcium...

Have you tried bananacado? Mine didn't like avocado at first but I mixed it with banana and he loved it like that. Now he'll even eat it plain.

encorage her to nurse more?
    Does she nurse well before and after naps?
    Sometimes I could get my toddler to nurse well thoose two times
    Does she sleep all night?

oh and it might be wise to ask the doctor for a refural to a good nutritionast..
    Now there are lots of not so good ones out there.
    So be carefull who you pick.
    Your local leader or LLL group might be able to tell you who in the area supports breastfeeding.
    avioding thoose things is hard but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    encorage her to nurse more?
    Does she nurse well before and after naps?
    Sometimes I could get my toddler to nurse well thoose two times
    Does she sleep all night?
    Yeah I can do that. She still loves the boob.. I am just hoping to decrease nursing a bit.. every 2-3 hours still during the day sometimes gets to be a bit much at her age....

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

Quote Originally Posted by cevangel View Post
    Have you tried bananacado? Mine didn't like avocado at first but I mixed it with banana and he loved it like that. Now he'll even eat it plain.
    Good suggestion but she wont eat banana either... such a weird.. she eats almost everything except those 2 foods!

My Daily Blog

coconut oil?

coconut oil?
    yeah- actually someone mentioned this on another parenting forum I visit. I am going to look for it next time I go to the health food store. thanks!

My Daily Blog

coconut oil?
    We also use Ghee as a source of fat.
    I mix avocado with pear when DS doesn't feel like eating avocado by itself.

a bit late, but I'd like to add that broccoli is an excellent source of calcium...
    my favourite source of calcium though (other than BM!) is parmesan cheese...
    it is really a great food: it's rich in protein, calcium, vitamins, and really easy to digest. Moreover, it does not contain lactose nor galactose, and it's therefore indicate also for lactose intolerant people...
    It has to be the original Parmigiano Reggiano though, otherwise cheeses called 'parmesan' or so normally have only the taste of Parmigiano but not its benefits due to the 'quicker' way in which they are produced...
    sorry, I wanted to add a link to the Parmigiano Reggiano website (italian version here) but the english pages have a Runtime error... this is a page from the international site, but it's a shorter version of the other...
    and this is another website, NOT official (and not 100% accurate, if compared to the original website) but you can find many info here too...

finally, I'd just would like to add that I use coconut oil too, but to 'soften' my LO's stools, so beware that it has a certain laxative effect!

HTH
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...