Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

Hello-
    My LO is 4 months old and I am finally planning a dinner/evening out with some girlfriends. The only problem is that I will miss 1 or 2 nursing sessions while I am gone, so my husband will be giving LO a bottle of EBM. My question is what do I do about pumping/making up for the missed feeding since I don't plan on pumping at the restaurant? Should I just pump once when I get home? Is it ok to occasionally miss a feeding and not pump in it's place? Thank you all for your advice!

Default Re: What to do?

My advice? Relax and HAVE FUN with your friends! I finally went out with DH for the first time when DS turned 4 months. My supply wasn't affected by the break. I did nurse DS when I came home.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

When I go out and miss a feed I usually pump when I get home (after I feed DD). Just have the pump cleaned and ready so you don't have to worry about it when you come home. Depending on how long you will be away and how often you are used to nursing, you will probably let-down a couple of times while your away and possibly leak so make sure to bring breast pads. If you start becoming uncomfortably full, you could always sneak away to a bathroom and express some milk to relieve the engorgement. That may not be necessary either though. Have fun!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by ericapt View Post
    Hello-
    Is it ok to occasionally miss a feeding and not pump in it's place?
    My guess is you aren't going to want to do this for your own comfort. The engorgment will become uncomfortable and could last for a couple days until your supply evens back out. I think you have the right idea of just pumping when you get home.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

def....your lo is old enough that your supply has been well established. I have gone that long (and longer- i.e. -when I had a little too much to drink I just waited til the next morning to nurse and or pump) I just make sure I go a couple extra minutes at the pump to take out as much as I can!! My supply wasnt "damaged"!!! Relax! Enjoy! Have fun! You deserve it!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Ditto JeannieBean's advice!