Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Anyone else experienced this??

Default Help! Anyone else experienced this??

For the last week and a half or so my 5 month old baby has really changed things up and I don't know what's going on. She has always been a good sleeper and now won't go more than 2.5 -4 hours at night before waking. The only way to settle her down is to feed her. She has gone anywhere from 7-10 hours on a regular basis and even as long as 12 hours a few nights so I know she is capable of sleeping through the night.
    She is also feeding for very short periods of time now. Only a few minutes a lot of the time and that is a struggle as she keeps popping off. She just seems to be hungry all the time and then barely eats. I've tried holding her off till around 3 hours has past but it seems that after only 1-2 hours she is fussy and ready to eat again and I can't seem to get her to go longer. What's going on?? Has my milk supply gone downhill?? I've been wanting to pump more so I can have some milk on hand in case I want to go out but I feel like when can I pump since she is always eating and I already feel like I don't have enough so if I pump what is she going to eat??
    I was going to wait till 6 months to try solids but I did try her on rice cereal a couple of times on the weekend to see if that would help but she did not want it at all.
    Ideas??
    Thanks,
    Christa

Default Re: Help! Anyone else experienced this??

Hi, Could it be teething? My lo went thru the exact things yours is at that age. Sure enough at 6 months she got 6 teeth all at once! Also I did read that if they are learning new milestones etc.. that can mess up feeding & sleeping for them. Maybe she keeps popping off cause she gets distracted easily now. It will get better hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

I am experiencing this same thing with my 8 week old. For 5 weeks she fed marvelously, almost perfectly. Now she only feeds for 5 minutes at a time and is hungry all the time. I am waiting on some answers from LLL people to help. But in the meantime I have fed my daughter one side and when she is done, I pump right away (keeping my milk supply going). I have learned that even when I don't feel as though there is any milk, I can still pump 4 oz. within about 2 hours. So pump anyway, there will always be something there. Also it will keep your supply up instead of decreasing (which mine did because I was in the same dilemma - if I pump what will she feed when she gets hungry). Hope this helps. I am at my wits end so hopefully I will get some answers too.

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

This could explain a lot of the troubles you're having. We went through the exact same thing, where my DD slept through the night for a spell, then started nightwaking once she became more physically active and more aware of her environment. During the day, try nursing somewhere quiet and dark, and that can help ease the distraction. Also, your LO may very well be more efficient at nursing, and you may find that she is just a quick nurser (as my LO has always been - I've always jokingly called her little miss chug-a-lug for her ability to empty a breast in 3 minutes!) Everything you're going through is totally normal! Hang in there, it will get easier!

It could be teething as she has been drooling up a storm and chewing on anything and everything for over a month now.
    She does seem like maybe she is distracted too. Sometime she just plays with my nipple instead of eating. It's pretty funny really but I just worry she isn't getting enough.
    So I should feed both breasts then pump both right after a feed?? Or do I wait an hour? Or feed one then pump the other??
    Oh yeah she has always favoured the right breast over my left and now that she is feeding so fitfully she is barely spending time eating from the left breast at all. Maybe pump it more?? I just get frustrated pumping because anytime I have had to pump for an event or something I'll only get like 1 - 1.5 ounces TOTAL from both breasts. It really makes me feel like I'm taking it from her and there isn't much there.
    Thanks,
    Christa

Thanks Kelly that was a great link. Loved the "baby dialogue" LOL

I would try to get her to eat from both and then pump if you feel you need to. I never did pump and my supply stayed fine during her 4-6 month weird feeding stage. Our bodies have amazing ways to adjusting to our babies needs. My lo prefers my right over my left also. My lo has only ate 5 minutes at each feeding and has gained with no problems. I just try to offer her the left first. If she has good weight gain & diaper output then I bet she is fine. Also since she is drooling alot it could very well be teething. Plus she is at the age where she is noticing things around her and that can definally affect her feedings/sleeping.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs