Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried about starting solids

Default Re: Worried about starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy
    But boy, did I have to fight my mom and my mom's sister. He watched us eat when he was around 4-5 months old, and they swore he was ready. I countered that he watched everything I did, and should I give him a knife because he watched me use it and showed interest?
    LOL! That is what I tell all my family and friends who tell me she's "starving for real food" when she watches me eat. I tell them she also watches me put on make up with the same interest and intensity ... does that mean she's really wanting to wear mascara? I've never understood that "logic" ... babies watch everything we do with interest because everything is new to them. My baby also wants to eat the mail every time we get it ... does that mean she's ready to start digesting paper?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Great replies so this will be short. Don't feel pressure internally or externally to introduce solids. Your child will have a life time of our genetically, heavily pesticided, constipating, less than nutritious foods.... no need to rush. (I'm opinionated).

I felt pressured by family and even the ped. It is a subtle sabotage of your growing maternal instincts to think you HAVE to give solids so early. And 4 1/2 months is early, although most will tell you otherwise. Also, just because your child is watching you with interest as you eat does NOT mean he/she is needing or even wanting it. Babies are intersested in their world and especially their whatever their bfing mommy is doing.

Moms can get itchy around 4 months because they are getting used to their new role and are ready to try more, consciously and unconsciously. Don't rush baby on account of these feelings.

See, I told you I was of opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    Your child will have a life time of our genetically, heavily pesticided, constipating, less than nutritious foods.... no need to rush. (I'm opinionated).
    Oh so true! At least we know our babies are getting the perfect food for them while they are exclusively breastfed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    I felt pressured by family and even the ped. It is a subtle sabotage of your growing maternal instincts to think you HAVE to give solids so early. And 4 1/2 months is early, although most will tell you otherwise.
    I too was pressured both by friends and family, and by our pediatrician. She told us to start solids a couple months ago, telling us there is a window of opportunity to do so with success ... what she didn't tell us is that this opinion is based on a small study that was done on mentally handicapped children in the 60's. Check out this page for that myth and it's "debunking":
    Is there a "window of opportunity" for starting solids?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Wow am I ever glad I decided to post the question. Now it is so clear that I am not alone in my feeling emotionally attached to breastfeeding! I work full time so the breastfeeding time is so special to us, even for DS's usual one middle of the night snack each night.

He started teething about one month ago and over the past couple of weeks has tried to use my nipple as a teething ring a couple of times, so I'll be looking at other posts related to that! No teeth yet but when they come through that too may alter my view of being ready to start solids.

If there are any moms out there who are going back to work full time and trying to decide whether or not to pump and continue bf'ing, I'd love to support and encourage you in any way I can. Seems like I've talked with several women in my place of employment who thought it would be too hard so they stopped breastfeeding because of it.

Thanks again!
    tsoberdas

mommy to Evan, 4 1/2 months

I started my 7 month old son on solids and he loved eating baby cereal and solids. In the morning he would eat baby cereal, and for lunch/ dinner he would eat one jar of applesauce or pear. I did this routine for 2 weeks( he was still drinking BM the whole time) since he enjoyed eating it. I was very happy and felt like this was another "growing up stage" for him. Well the bad news is that he became constipated for 2 weeks and of course extremly cranky and I completly stopped feeding him solids and returned to BM only. He is better now and is pooping regularly. My advice is to wait if you can. My son is about to be 9 months old in 2 weeks and I have decided to try solids again maybe around 10 months or so. Good luck =D

I never knew that starting solids was such a negative thing in the BF community. As long as I can get over the current teething issue I plan to breast feed at least 1 year. I thought it was a milestone for babies to learn how to properly function their mouths just like rolling over and sitting up. I am so sorry it has not worked out for the other ladies but my DD absolutely loves the food I make for her and seems to have no problem with digestion. But I will be sure to keep the paper out of her diet for now.

I don't think starting solids is a negative thing at all! On the contrary, I'm excited to see her reactions to a whole new world of tastes and textures!

However, I think everybody's baby is different and just choose to follow my baby's cues on when she is ready. I think what is a *negative* thing is when family/friends/doctors push babies (or rather, push their moms into pushing their babies) into starting solids before they are ready. I know my child better than they do and she hasn't been ready yet (yes, we've tried).

Babies who start solids later can feed themselves and are also not as likely to have allergic reactions to foods. I also would rather start later so she can begin with finger foods, rather than being spoon fed pureed food. My DD is a take charge girl and wouldn't let us even get close to her with that spoon (yes, we tried). Anyway, I don't think any of us think of solids as a negative ... I certainly do not. But I do know that for her first year of life "breast is best" and the rest is play/experimentation/practice.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; July 27th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.