Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about starting solids

Default Worried about starting solids

Hi,
    My son is 4 1/2 months old and I feel like we should start trying rice cereal pretty soon. He's always been a good nurser and I love it so much. I can't explain it, but I'm not looking forward to starting him on solids because it makes me think that he won't need me anymore after that. Am I strange? Has anyone else felt this way? I just want our relationship to continue to be special and close even after we're done breastfeeding.
    tsoberdas

mommy to Evan, 4 1/2 months

Default Re: Worried about starting solids

Hi, I know how you feel. I felt the same way. I waited till my baby was 6 ms to start Her on solids. I reasearched delaying solids on the internet and with my family history of food allergies I felt it best. I feel now that She is eating solids She don't need me. I know that is not true but She is growing too fast as it is.

If you do decide to introduce solids your breastfeeding relationship doesn't have to change. My son is a non-stop nurser, rarely takes a nap, and we co-sleep. We started him on solids (he's also 4 1/2 months) and he's still a non-stop nurser . The solids are more of a fun time for him rather than a nutritional need for us. Of coarse all babies are different and if you're really worried it's perfectly ok to wait. There are a lot of Moms on this board that breastfeed only and their babies are much older.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends...

Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.

In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants. Vitamin D and iron may need to be given before 6 months of age in selected groups of infants (vitamin D for infants whose mothers are vitamin D-deficient or those infants not exposed to adequate sunlight; iron for those who have low iron stores or anemia). Fluoride should not be administered to infants during the first 6 months after birth, whether they are breast- or formula-fed. During the period from 6 months to 3 years of age, breastfed infants (and formula-fed infants) require fluoride supplementation only if the water supply is severely deficient in fluoride (<0.3 ppm).

The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. For allergy prone babies I think this is even more important. See:

When should my baby start solids?
    Why Delay Solids?
    Dr. Sears on Starting Solid Foods (and why to wait)
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada

My DD is 7 months old and still exclusively breastfed. She's in the 80th percentile for weight/height, happy and already cruising! We are following her lead on when to start solids. Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation.

And that special bond you have with your baby will continue regardless of the solids you introduce. Many moms are still nursing every two hours even well into the second year, long after they've been eating solids in addition to breastfeeding!

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by tsoberdas
    I'm not looking forward to starting him on solids because it makes me think that he won't need me anymore after that. Am I strange? Has anyone else felt this way?
    I absoluetly felt this way! It's one step further away from mummy. I started giving him small amounts of rice cereal around 5 1/2 months. One night at dinner, he just looked so pitifull and heartbraking at us as we ate that I couldn't not give it to him any more. I hadn't been looking forward to it either and it made me a little teary as I gave him that cereal. But what else can you do? Eventually, they need more than just milk. My son is quite large, so he really does need more calories. Today at his 6mo, the ped told me he needs two meals a day because he's such a big boy. I'm not looking forward to this, but deep down I know that advice makes sense for my boy.

I can't offer any advice, but I definately don't think you're strange!

Eventually, they need more than just milk. My son is quite large, so he really does need more calories. Today at his 6mo, the ped told me he needs two meals a day because he's such a big boy. I'm not looking forward to this, but deep down I know that advice makes sense for my boy.
    Don't forget that breastmilk provides more fat and calories than any food you can provide your little one!

Kellymom.com states:

Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well.

MYTH: "Your baby is big so you need to start solids."

Moms might be told to start solids for differing reasons when they have a large baby.

Some are told that since baby is big, they won't be able to produce enough milk to satisfy baby. This is quite untrue - almost all mothers have the ability to produce enough milk to exclusively breastfeed twins and even triplets. If you allow your baby to nurse on cue, your body will make enough milk for your baby.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I know how you feel, I felt my dd would was not going to need me. I come from a latin family and everybody was encouraing me to start solids at 4 months. My dd would stare at my food and begin to salivate or open her mouth because she was interested. I did not want to lose the bond that I had with her thinking that the solids would interfere with our BF relationship. I finally gave in to her desire for solid foods and she loves it, but that does not mean she loves the BF any less. When she was a little older than 4 months I would give her a little fruit or a veggie (after all allergy testing) then I would BF. She is the 97 % in height and 90 % in weight @ 6 months. I am happy to include her in our family meals but still keep our special bond.

Oh, I know the feeling. My mother pushed the solids thing at four months with us and I was too darn wimpy to stand up to her. Well, that isn't completely true. If she had her way, we would have started rice cereal and applesauce at six weeks. Anyway, I still have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should have stuck to my guns and waited until he was six months old. Luckily, the introduction of solids didn't hurt anything and we still have a good nursing schedule six to seven times a day, although he is definitely less interested in nursing at 8.5 months than he was at four months. Such is life, I suppose.

I can understand totally how u r feeling as I waited for I guess, like 6-7 months for my baby to start on solids..I wanted to be very "selfish" but I couldnt... I had to breastfeed and somehow, I tried the baby milk bottle too sometimes..

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    Don't forget that breastmilk provides more fat and calories than any food you can provide your little one!

Kellymom.com states:

Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well.

MYTH: "Your baby is big so you need to start solids."

Moms might be told to start solids for differing reasons when they have a large baby.

Some are told that since baby is big, they won't be able to produce enough milk to satisfy baby. This is quite untrue - almost all mothers have the ability to produce enough milk to exclusively breastfeed twins and even triplets. If you allow your baby to nurse on cue, your body will make enough milk for your baby.
    AMEN..

I had an 11.5 lb baby at birth. He grew like a weed and was the size of many one year olds at 6 months. 99% percentile or above for both weight and size at that time (thankfully, he slowed down weightwise!). Sooo many people told me a) I would never be able to keep up with his needs, and b) he needed solids early.

Bogus. Big kids do not need solids any earlier than anyone else.

He did just fine exclusively nursing until 7+ months. I only started solids then as fun and skipped spoonfeeding entirely as he wasn't interested in that stuff. It didn't slow down our nursing at all. He nursed several times a day for nearly another year after that, and he's only stopped nursing now because I have no milk due to pregnancy.

I delayed solids because I also felt like it was the beginning of the end of our nursing relationship. I didn't want to deal with the stinky diapers! Once you start solids, that virtually non-smelling poop reeks.

But boy, did I have to fight my mom and my mom's sister. He watched us eat when he was around 4-5 months old, and they swore he was ready. I countered that he watched everything I did, and should I give him a knife because he watched me use it and showed interest?

I babysit a baby who is now 10 months old and weighs more than my toddler -- in fact, I cannot carry him. His ped made his mom start solids at 3-4 months saying "he's too fat and feeding him solids will make him drink less formula." Totally backfired. He still drinks 32-40 oz of formula a day and eats three large babyfood jars a day (at least).

So, don't start solids until 6 months or so, and don't worry about the size of your kid being a factor.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!