Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Space Office, where will i pump??!

Red face Open Space Office, where will i pump??!

Hi, I am going back to work in 10 days and need to pump 2-3 times during working hours (8 hrs/day) for my 4mo.
    I work in an open-space environment, I have no idea where I will pump..
    (the only feasible place seems bathroom :-(..)
    Any advise?

Also, I need some advise for the best and fastest pump.
    Right now I am occasionally using Medela swing but it is really slow, and I cannot aford this time at work.

Default Re: Open Space Office, where will i pump??!

I pumped in the bathroom-- not so bad since it was a one-person room (no stalls) and I could set the pump on the counter by the sink. I've also pumped in the storage room (small but a lock on the door and enough room to ump and sit--although cramped). Also pumped in the car with a car adapter-- LOVED that. Get a Medela PIS-- fast, can double pump if you're that coordinated (I never was). I pumped for 19 months and finally hung it up in December. Hallelujah!

I would seek out empty offices (even if the person was just away), empty conference rooms or any empty room with a door. When all else failed, I just pumped in my car. I second the recommendation for the Medela PIS. You can use either a car adaptor or battery pack when electricity is not available.

is there a place were you could set up a screen?
    Even if its just for when you pump?

Look at your state law on pumping..avail on the llli.org site. Most employers should find you a space to pump.

I used the medela pump in style for work. It was great. Double pumping saves time. Also to keep your supply up, pump at least 3 times..for a total of 15 minutes. Pump for 7 minutes, stop, massage your breasts and pump for another 7. Most babies at 4 months go on your breast more than 3 times during the day, so stopping and massaging will allow you to stimulate your breasts again, encoraging a better supply...good luck!

For hands free puming, do a search on kellymom.com. It involves using pony tail bands...work like a charm for me, while I literally pumped and worked.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

What about meeting rooms? Before my current job, I would reserve one of the meeting rooms in the company for half hour blocks when I needed them. That also gave me the ability to kick people out.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

We have a few "spare" real offices and conference rooms that I used. Worked great for me - provided there was a lock on the door...
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Medela Pump in Style (PIS) has worked really great for me. I was trying the hand pump before that, which worked, but this was just like woah!!! When I began using it. Also, I'm going to try the suggestion for the hands-free pumping! I'm always learning on here
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Does your company have a first aid room? At my company, I was able to pump in the room they used as a first aid room.

check out this website. Some laws require an employer to provide a space for you, other than a toilet stall. See if there is anything that will help.

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm