Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids - Fruits/Veg. & cereals

Cool Solids - Fruits/Veg. & cereals

My DD had her 6month appointment yesterday (almsot a month late) and I've been feeding her solids once a day (about 2 weeks). I usually just pick either a fruit, veg, or cereal. The past week she's started eating 1/2-3/4 of 2.5oz container. Her nurse yesterday said she needs to be eating one serving of fruit and one serving of vegetables everyday and cereal. She said she only needs to drink 16-24oz of BM a day and can eat finger foods and pretty much anything else and drink juice. She was pretty shocked when I told her that DD eats 11 oz of BM from 7:30-3:30 while I'm at work. I thought that wasn't much at all.

The Dr. said to slowly start adding more and not to rush her. He did say she needed to eat cereal for the iron.

Of course today I read posts saying cereal is not necessary or good for them.

I don't mind adding breakfast, but I don't think she'll eat two whole containers of a fruit/veg and cereal. Also, I think she's starting to get constipated on just on the little bit she's eating now (she goes a tiny bit and it's getting more and more solid/thick). I was going to give her cereal with prunes mixed in to help.

You'd think giving solids would be easy, but there's SO many theories controversies etc... Anyway, any advice will be appreciated.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: Solids - Fruits/Veg. & cereals

Also, at her appointment yesterday her she was in the 50th percentile for her weight while she used to be in the 75th. She also went from 97th in height to 90th. Her Dr. didn't seem concerned though.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.

At that age my DD had 2 meals a day. One of fruit and one of veggie. Sometimes she ate the entire container, sometimes not and we just saved the leftovers for the next day. We do give her cereal but not every day. Usually mix it in with some fruit or veggie. And I ALWAYS offer BM first (either a bottle at DC or nurse). That way I know she's getting enough BM which is far more important than the solids. Oh, and we NEVER give juice. Not necessary. My ped's office was the same way...telling us 3 meals a day and juice. I just nodded, said ok, and then did my own thing anyway.

And for the constipation, prunes work for us as does pears.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

What about water? DD's babysitter took her for a walk in her stroller and said she was thirsty so figured DD was thirsty and wanted to give her water. I don't think DD was thirsty or she'd have acted hungry.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)

It's my understanding that babies that young don't *need* water. We introduced a sippy cup at about that age, but only put tiny amounts of water in it. Like only 1oz. per day. You don't want them filling up on water.

Here's a link from kellymom about water and babies. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

As for the solids, follow your baby's lead. My little one was never into purees much. He has eaten mostly soft table foods and now eats anything and everything he can get his hands on. Unfortunately that includes dust bunnies as well.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I wouldn't listen to your nurse. Go with your babies cues.. Babies do not "need" any food besides Bm until after 12 months... My lo is 11 months old and she probably only eats a few tablespoons of food a day. Breastmilk is supposed to be the main part of their diet until at least 8-9 months!!!! Solids are not to replace milk at 6 months. I think you are fine. I would be careful of introducing too much food until the 8-9 month range. Breastmilk is best. and no cereal isn't necessary.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!