Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STTN and solids

Question STTN and solids

Just a few questions:
    I just got back from the ped. for my dd 4 month check up and she (dr) said that if dd isnt sleeping 6+ hrs straight at night, we would need to start solids. luckly she is currently sleeping 7.5 hrs straight at night (but just for the past 2 nights, before she was eating ever 4hrs). I really dont want to start solids before 6 months.
    1. Is there any good reason to start sooner? Ped. said if she was waking in the MON it means that she isnt getting enough to eat- but she gained 2lbs 13 oz in the past 2 months- much better than the 2lbs that she "should" have gained. She has also moved up from the 25% to almost the 50%.
    I am just worried b/c allergies run in the family; the concept of the open gut; and apa and who both recommend waiting until 6months.
    2. What types of solids should I start with. I want to make my own baby food (I have since I was a teenager) and I know most start with rice- but I am afraid of her getting constipated. I dont want to introduce oat, wheat, barley, or corn until she is a year old b/c DH is allergic to all of the above. (She had bad excema on her cheeks and I cut out dairy and wheat and it cleared up).
    3. Does she have to have a grain??? Or can I start with veggies and fruit? I know I need to introduce them slowly, but how slow?

TIA... Im just trying to have some ideas for the next time that I go to see her ped.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

Default Re: STTN and solids

If you don't care if your baby doesn't STTN... I wouldn't worry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My DS1 didn't STTN until he was a year, we started solids at 5.5/6 mo and it made zero difference in his sleep. Baby will STTN when baby is ready. I did find that making sure he was well fed before bed (at a year) helped him sleep better and longer, but before a year babies main source of nutrition should be BM not solids... even at night.

ETA: I would wait until 6 mo to start solids, I'm sure someone else will elaborate.
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; April 29th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

As for solids and night waking - my 2 year olds who weaned in November still wake at least once a night 4 times per week. I wake nightly and I eat plenty of solids LOL

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

My 9 mo wakes 1-2x/ night and he gets some solids. I too would wait until she is at least 6 mo or more before starting solids. To be honest when our pedi asked ''if DS sttn"I tell her yes!
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Angi View Post
    I wake nightly and I eat plenty of solids LOL
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

As you said - she's gaining well. THats a good sign what you're doing is working. Weather she STTN or not

When she's ready (here're signs of readiness) This is a good resource for how to start
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

sounds like you know more then the doctor does.....

When my dd was smaller at 4 months the doctor started pushing solids
    And she would say "The baby should be eating abc.."
    and I would say
    "Well I guess she could...."
    And then I did my own thing.

I knew that my doctor had not nursed either one of her kids.
    I ended up having to fire her over another issue but maybe its time to look for somebody else to be your doctor.

with my last two babies I started with meats when they had teeth to chew with...about 9-12 months old
    We don't have food allergies If I did I would be alot more careful with the introductions of foods. Thjat way you can see a reaction right away.

I agree with pp, no reason to start before 6 mos. And, no they don't need cereal, you can definitely start them with veggies & fruit. This is a great site for making your own food and what to start with, etc. : www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Good luck!

Just wanted to agree with the PPers My LO is 7 months old and our pedi was pushing solids for the same reason. We tried cereal at 5.5 months but she didn't care for it. So, I waited. Now she is 7 month old, still doesn't like rice cereal but takes oatmeal and only has one solid meal a day. She is over 20 lbs (I don't have an official weight b/c I don't have a scale) and 90% according to the charts - and guess what? She still wakes up a couple of times at night! I don't mind it at all. I it! If my pedi says something I just nod and then I do what I feel is best for my LO. When she went in for her 6 mo check up she asked if we had started solids, which we hadn't and she said well, she is obviously thriving. Yes, ma'am she is and just on
    Last edited by Tadpole's Mom; April 30th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

I was just going to say with the food allergies in your family and your baby's sensitivities to the foods in your diet, I would even wait more to introduce solids especially the high allergens. I agree with you completely about waiting until a year with the grains that your husband is allergic to. I think your ped. sounds like a little bit of an idiot. For the record, my son (almost 22 months old) eats as much solids as a little person his age can eat, nurses at least 4 times a day and still wakes up about 3 times a night. He has never slept more than 4 hours straight. He is gaining weight like crazy so I know that the night waking has nothing to do with being hungry or full. STTN is a habitual thing, related to the brain and nervous system, nothing to do with stomach.