Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I introduce cows milk?

Default How do I introduce cows milk?

DD is 10 months now, but I am wanting to do somewhat mother-led weaning at 1 year..actually I know the night nursing sessions will be hard, but I would like to cut on the day sessions first. My question is, how do I wean DD from breastmilk/nursing to cows milk. I have tried to put breast milk in a sippy cup before and DD would not touch it (I don't want her on a bottle at 1 year). She doesn't take the bottle of BM very well from DH as it is. Any advice would be awesome.
    THANKS!!

Default Re: How do I introduce cows milk?

I am wondering the same thing. DS is almost 1 year and I would like to stop pumping, so when the freezer supply runs out in a few weeks, I will not have more BM to send him during the day. I am planning to continue BF when we are together at night, but don't know how he will respond to cow's milk during the day.

DS still drinks EBM out of a bottle. We have been giving him a sippy cup at every meal with water in it for a few months, but he mostly just chews on the end of it (it is a Born Free bottle with one of the softer "nipples"). I want to switch him off the bottle and onto the sippy too.

I have been thinking about mixing some cow's milk and EBM and gradually getting him used to the cow's milk. I don't know if anyone else has some experience with this or any better suggestions...

I was actually going to post a question similiar to yours. My dd is almost 10 months and I am not sure how I am going to go about the weaning process. I work during the day so I pump, and I was wanting to try to transition her from bottle during the day to sippy cup, & was also wondering how to transition her to cows milk I will have to keep watch on your thread hopefully somebody can chime in.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Answered my own question....Just to let ya know. I asked DDs pedi today and he said to transition to a sippy of bm and then slowly add cows milk to the bm. Problem is..she wants boobie.

And keep in mind - if you choose to wean and she won't take cow milk - there are other sources of the nutients found in other foods so it's not an end all be all And if baby is over 1 yr. even 3-4 nursing a day give them the majority of their nutritional requirements
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I tried using a straw with my one year old. After a few days he got the hang of it and drinks like a champ. He's not really into sippy cups.

Also, try getting someone else to feed him if he insists on the boobs.