Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaving a 14 month old?

Default Leaving a 14 month old?

Would it be possible to leave a 14 month old for 4 days 3 nights and not causing weaning? Would she go back to the breast when I returned or would the separation cause her to wean? I would leave her with breast milk. Should it be given to her in a cup or bottle? I want her to BF till at least two and would hate for her to wean that way!
    Thank you so much for any help and advise.

Default Re: Leaving a 14 month old?

I did 2 days/nights at 13 months. He did fine (actually slept much better than when I'm around), but was definitely jumping all over me to nurse when I got home. I did worse than he did - got plugged ducts and was feeling very sick by the time I got home. Make sure if you do this that you have a very good breast pump and don't skimp!!!

I did three days and three nights with an 2 1/2 year old and she did not wean.
    So hopefully you'll be ok!

I did two days and a night with my 14 month old and she reffused all bottles while I was gone and took up BF when I returned as if I never left. SO I think you should be fine.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Thank you so much for all your stories! I really hope it all goes well.
    How much BM does a 14 month old need to drink in a day? I need to know how much I have to have for her.

I left for 1 overnight and she seemed less interested for a while but she was sick at the time. Eventually she went back to her morning , after work bedtime and 4 am feeding. Good luck. If your schedule does change when you get back dont panick it might get right back on track sooner than you think.