Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ds screaming

Default ds screaming

so starting last night ds started screaming when i put him to breast. i have no idea why. i have tried many positions and nothing. i have no idea what to do. im gonna try getting him on but ill take any advise.

Default Re: ds screaming

could you give us some more info? How old is he? Is he feeling sick? Maybe a sore throat? Do you have any probs with overactive let down, or oversupply? Could he be teething? Have you changed deoderants, or soaps, or lotions? Have you been eating anything that might change the taste of your breastmilk dramatically? Something different that you don't normally eat? What are his poops like? And how many wet diapers?

Does he eventually latch on and nurse, or are you giving bottles after he starts screaming?

A few more details will help a great deal in trying to find an answer for you.

DD had a phase when she did this. It coincided with her having reflux and usually happened during her evening fussy period. I agree, explain the situation a bit more, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

im sorry both kids were screaming and i need to attend to them so i had to make it quick. he is 6weeks old. he doesnt seem to be feeling ill. i did have oald. not sure anymore whats going on. the only thing differnt that i ate was a salmon patty. everything else is the usual. i havent changed any soaps or deodarants. for the last 2-3 days hes gruntin and groanin about pooping but is still poopin 1x a day and lots of pee diapers. sometimes since this has started i can get him on just fine but then for whatever reason (only thing i can think of is not enough milk maybe?) he comes off and starts in with the screaming then wont get back on. my left side is the most problematic. not as much milk. i was switching sides before this started. and the right side hurts ALOT i have a chunk like part taken out is what it looks like. he latches on correctly on the left side but not on the right. im just getting frustrated cos i know to increase milk he needs to be on but i cant get him on. im sooo frustrated. im not gonna give up im just gonna work that much harder. hopefully he bares with it. when he does get really frustrated i put him in the swing to get us both a break for a while. hmmm im trying to give as much info as possible. hope we can fix this

Nothing here. Just the I was wondering though have you expressed milk? I've heard that if you have an infection on your breast it can make your milk like a paste. Maybe it's an infection Hope someone comes along soon that knows..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    i did have oald
    Has it completely cleared up, or does the milk still spray so forcefully that he has a hard time swallowing it quickly enough?

sometimes since this has started i can get him on just fine but then for whatever reason (only thing i can think of is not enough milk maybe?) he comes off and starts in with the screaming then wont get back on. my left side is the most problematic. not as much milk. i was switching sides before this started. and the right side hurts ALOT i have a chunk like part taken out is what it looks like. he latches on correctly on the left side but not on the right. im just getting frustrated cos i know to increase milk he needs to be on but i cant get him on. im sooo frustrated. im not gonna give up im just gonna work that much harder. hopefully he bares with it. when he does get really frustrated i put him in the swing to get us both a break for a while. hmmm im trying to give as much info as possible. hope we can fix this
    Could you clarify on the part I put in bold above? It sounds like maybe you have a clogged duct or infection, but I'm not a doc obviously. Are you engorged in that breast? and maybe he can't latch on well? or is it a lumpy area you're describing? Have you tried pumping that breast, the one that he won't latch onto? If not, I think you should start, to keep production up in that breast as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Has it completely cleared up, or does the milk still spray so forcefully that he has a hard time swallowing it quickly enough?

.. Could you clarify on the part I put in bold above? It sounds like maybe you have a clogged duct or infection, but I'm not a doc obviously. Are you engorged in that breast? and maybe he can't latch on well? or is it a lumpy area you're describing? Have you tried pumping that breast, the one that he won't latch onto? If not, I think you should start, to keep production up in that breast as well.
    Lesdrunk, I'll look for your answers to these questions as well. What exactly hurts on the right side, and when exactly does it hurt? How do your nipples look?

the chunklike looks like when you have a scab and you pick it how it looks like a part of skin is missing. it not bleeding or scabbed thats just how it looks. the nipple is what hurts. he starts on the nipple due to lack of opening his mouth and slurps in after a few seconds it doesnt hurt and hes latched on alot better. he doesnt do that with the left side though. ive tried tickling his mouth and nose to get him to open wider with no luck. im not engourged and no lumps. if anythig i was a little full on the left side a few days ag. but i did get him on it. i have a meeting with lll on the 14th so ill have them help me then with getting him to latch better. hopefully that wii help clear up the "battle wound"

sounds like maybe you've got an Abrasion

heres a link with tips to help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

so i think i may of found out why he was screaming. he didnt want to eat or so i think. now i just need to find out how to heal and still feed on that side and how to get him to latch better. will he ever learn to latch on better? or since its incorrect will it stay that way when he gets older?