Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My LC made a comment today

Default My LC made a comment today

I visited her for the umteenth billionth time, and we were discussing BFing vs. FF. She said that in most BFing literature, the pictures shown are of 3-4 month old babies nursing. She said very rarely are there pictures of newborns nursing.

I just thought that was very interesting, seeing as how many people say that it took them until month 2 or 3 to "like" BFing, and until month 4 or 5 to "love" it.

As hard as it is in the early days, I'm so glad that a forum like this exists to give us the encouragement we need to stick with it and give our babies the best!

Default Re: My LC made a comment today

Very cool. I remember watching a video of a breastfeeding baby that was probably a month or two old. I was still pregnant and thought it looked easy. HA! It is definitely something you have to learn. Looking back I realize it wasn't just me that had to learn how to breastfeed; my LO had to as well.

Totally agree!
    The first month or 2 both mom and LO are learning so it can be very frustrating and sometimes discouraging. I completely understand why so many people give up.
    But it does get so much easier and maybe if more people were told the truth about the difficulties at the beginning but the sunshine at the end, more people would stick to it.
    We know its the best thing for the baby and can I say how much money bfing moms save by not needing formula!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Quote Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
    Totally agree!
    The first month or 2 both mom and LO are learning so it can be very frustrating and sometimes discouraging. I completely understand why so many people give up.
    But it does get so much easier and maybe if more people were told the truth about the difficulties at the beginning but the sunshine at the end, more people would stick to it.
    We know its the best thing for the baby and can I say how much money bfing moms save by not needing formula!
    No kidding! It cost us over $120 a month for formula for DS. (I was uneducated in BFing with him, and gave up when my nipples cracked. If only I had known then what I know now... )

I agree with you all! My LO latched the first time perfectly right after birth then went to sleep every time I got her near my breast. We spoon-fed, cup fed, syringe fed - everything while I pumped just hoping one day to nurse my little girl. I tried at each feeding and felt like such a bad mom because I could not curse my baby. Heck, even my cat nursed her kittens without an LC, books, videos or any help - why couldn't I? Then, at 3 weeks we gave in and started her on a bottle. We had decided that she would still get my milk, just not directly from the tap. I kept trying to nurse every time before feeding her and after one week on the bottle...it Happened!! She lastched on (like Jaws) and nursed like a champ! Come to find out she was not latched on correctly and it hurt like heck until I got help from you all here at the LLL boards! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU SUPPORT!!
    Now, she is 19 months old and we have not weaned yet. She nurses every morning and night.

With everyones help here, I have had the chance to help 2 other moms I work with that would have given up too. I helped them in person and got them here on line and they love you! (Hi Ann and Marge)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

BFing def has its challenges! my LO was 2-3 weeks old (now 5 weeks old) when i found this sight. i was litterally in tears and wanted to throw in the towel. these forums have truly kept me going. right now i am recovering from mastitis and trying to wean LO (and myself) from the nipple sheild. looking back at our first 3 weeks BFing, i see that weve both come a long long way...cracked, scabbed (hense the sheild) nipples and crying sessions from both of us (poor daddy!). i now look at each day as an accomplishment and i thank all of u mommies (and LLL of course) for keeping me going...if it wasnt for this place, i would have given up.