Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Now she wants a bottle?????

Default Now she wants a bottle?????

DD is 23.5 months and has started asking for a "baby bottle" and will cry about it! When she was an infant she refused bottles and pacifiers! What the heck?! There's a baby at the babysitter so I think that's why she does it but should I be concerned? I have given her the bottle with water in it and she'll go for 2 days carrying it around and then forgets about it for a week or so. She also has a pacifier for her dolls that she will occasionally suck on when she runs across it. Is this normal play? She loves to mother her dolls-change their diapers, burp them, nurse them, all the usual stuff and she is still nursing all the time herself. So---any reason to take them away or should I continue to let her take the bottle/pacifier?

Default Re: Now she wants a bottle?????

Guess what, my daughter asked for a binky RIGHT BEFORE HER 3RD BIRTHDAY!
    But, she had also just started daycare and a lot of the littler kids have them.
    She'd never been remotely interested before.
    I let her, she uses it on and off and never seriously...
    My philosophy was to let her try and not make a big deal about it and that she would get over the novelty.

So normal play, yesindeedy!
    I wouldn't be concerned at all! It's not like at 23.5 months she's going to get nipple confusion!!

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    DD is 23.5 months and has started asking for a "baby bottle" and will cry about it! When she was an infant she refused bottles and pacifiers! What the heck?! There's a baby at the babysitter so I think that's why she does it but should I be concerned? I have given her the bottle with water in it and she'll go for 2 days carrying it around and then forgets about it for a week or so. She also has a pacifier for her dolls that she will occasionally suck on when she runs across it. Is this normal play? She loves to mother her dolls-change their diapers, burp them, nurse them, all the usual stuff and she is still nursing all the time herself. So---any reason to take them away or should I continue to let her take the bottle/pacifier?
    I think it is normal play, and it won't do any harm.

However, with my own kids, I noticed that my DS#1 started to get really curious about baby bottles after he had weaned at age 2....maybe he was 2.5 or 3 years old... Anyway, I just explained to him that he had drank breastmilk, and that breastmilk was better for babies. I explained that when he was a tiny baby and had a babysitter for a few months, that he had used a bottle with breastmilk that I pumped for him then, but that bottles were for when babies were away from their mommies, or if they drank formula instead of breastmilk.

I didn't let him try a bottle, nor will I let any of my kids (unless it's for their own nourishment, and not as a plaything), but that's my own personal feelings on the issue, because I want my kids to grow up remembering their brothers and sisters being breastfed, and not have memories of any bottles, if that makes sense. It's just what I want for them, its not necessarily right for every family.

In his case though, I did get him one of his old baby bottles and let him use it to feed his stuffed animals though, with the explanation that mommies have the breasts and therefore breastfeed, like I'd done with him, but that his daddy fed him my breastmilk in a bottle since daddies can't breastfeed. He thought that was a great idea, and fed his stuffed animals for a couple of years on and off. It was a great teaching tool as well, as we prepared for our DS#2 while I was preggers, and he got to practice being a daddy and do the same things that his daddy does.

One of my cousins is about 1 month younger than I am. His family visited when I was about 2, and he had a bottle, so I wanted one, too. I got one, and played with it, and drank out of it, and forgot it the moment they left. IMO, if your LO isn't hooked on a bottle to get her sucking needs met, she's not going to get hooked on it now.

My son is 15 mo. and occasionally wants to suck on a bottle. He has not had one since he was about 4 mo., and only had them very rarely then. He started this after he saw his cousin drinking from one, and I think it is just curiosity. Of course, my MIL has some at her house and he will find an empty one and put it in his mouth every now and then. I just have to be careful and watch him b/c a few weeks ago when we were at a playgroup, he stole a babies bottle that had been left next to a diaper bag and started to drink the formula out of it. From the reaction on his face though, he may never do it again.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Thanks Mamas! I'm not too concerned, no bottle in 2 days Although she has given her "babies" their bottles AND nursed them It's probably hard for toddlers seeing babies get bottles out in public and babysitter/daycare and then they get BF at home! Well, I think I'll continue to act like it's not a big deal and it'll pass (just like the occasional curse word)

yup
    I bet the bottle will pass.