Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Kicking!!

Default Kicking!!

I used to find that my little one did this only when you tried to put his socks on and off... he's a bit ticklish But lately, it's been very hard to change his diaper without getting one in the chin... and now he's started to kick when feeding. Of course, he finds it hilarious... but mommy doesn't. How would you stop this?

Default Re: Kicking!!

I would grab her legs, tell her no, and make her hold still (to a point, if she fought hard enough, she just didn't get to nurse) I think if he sees it's not a game, and there are unpleasant consequences to his misbehavior, perhaps he'll stop. Also - we do as much of dipe changes standing up as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by mama_p View Post
    Also - we do as much of dipe changes standing up as possible!
    Sorry for going off subject, but does that really help with pt?
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

For kicking during diaper changes, we distracted asking DS to point out his body parts, then we started changing him standing up at some point. As far as nursing, it's perfectly okay to teach good manners. I would close things up, ask him not to kick, let him try it again, and repeat as needed. You might need to even end sessions sometimes if he's being persistent, but he'll figure it out.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    As far as nursing, it's perfectly okay to teach good manners.

Say "Ow - it hurts mommy when you kick. No kicking. If you kick then no nursing." And then follow through consistently by "closing up shop" and if needed gently putting LO on the floor.

We tell DS that he can ONLY kick balls and in the pool. He may NEVER kick people or furniture or animals.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for all the advice! I don't really want to hold his legs down, but I suppose it's that or risk injury myself. I've always been very stern with him, telling him that it hurts mommy and that isn't play time, but he hasn't grasped that yet. We've also started changing him standing up, but for different reasons - he just cried constantly for awhile when we tried to do it lying down. Now we're back to successfully changing both ways, but sometimes the kicking happens. Sounds like more perseverance is the answer.

I've found that stopping nursing and gently putting DS on the floor is very effective in getting the message across that certain behaviors are not acceptable while nursing. DS was mad at me and cried. I was calm and consistent. I only needed to do this like once or twice.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)