Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 month growth slowed - breastfeeding problem?

Default 6 month growth slowed - breastfeeding problem?

My dd2 is 6 months old (on Friday) and weighs 13lbs, 14 oz & is 25 inches long. She was born at 7lb, 3 oz. & 20 inches. She has not doubled her weight.

The problem is this: at her 2 month checkup she was 12lbs, 7oz & 24.5 inches, which is great! Then at her 4 month she was 13lbs, 4 oz & 24.5 inches again. At her 6 month checkup last Friday she was at 13lbs 6oz & 25 inches. Her growth slowed considerably!

She nurses every 3-4 hours for at least 10 mins and sleeps 10 hours at night. I had started giving her cereal around 5 months just to introduce the texture to her. She loved it and would bob her head for the spoon and would just give you those sad puppy dog eyes when were eating - she showed all the signs of readiness, so I started to give her barely, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash & carrots. She would eat at least 1/2 cup of food twice a day.

During the appointment the doc said to stop all those except the rice and sweet potatoes and we went back for a weight check yesterday. She gained 8oz.

Other than what the numbers and charts say, she looks great! She has dropped from the 75% to the 10% on the charts.

We went to see a gastroenterologist and he said that it is my milk and that I obviously am not producting enough calories and that I need to add butter to her food. Is this correct? I mean add butter - isn't that not healthy? Why did she not gain any weight from 4-6 months or grow? Do I have a milk problem?

Default Re: 6 month growth slowed - breastfeeding problem?

It sounds like cutting out some solids and BF more worked for you guys? Some foods just don't have the amount of calories or fat that babies need, and when they fill up on those they don't have room for mom's milk.

The AAP says that a babies diet should be primarily breast milk for the first 12 months. So if foods are getting in the way of that and causing problems then backing off should do the trick.

Here some info on the amount of calories and fat that are found in infant and toddler foods.

It sounds like your milk is just fine mama I know this because your LO has done great so far on it. If you were truly deficient then there would have been major problems at this point. Your baby is proof of the quality of your milk
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

It sounds like your doctor encouraged you to give your child foods with lower allergy risks. Your breastmilk has done wonderful things for your daughter and solids are a secondary part of her diet. IMPO, I too would disagree with the GI doc. I would never give my 6 month old butter. Believe in your mother's instinct and go with it.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Thank you so much for the encouragement! The GI upset me and I was freaking out about my milk quality - but you're right, she would have so many other problems.

I guess I started the solids during a time when she needed more bf to boost her weight. I'm going to chill and ask my ped to chill too - Thanks!

Well I was okay - but three weeks later and she has not gained anything. I saw a lactation consultant who advised that I nurse then feed her - which is what I had been doing and she ended up losing 4 oz. The ped asked if I would feed then nurse, and she gained those 4 oz. back, but now she is constipated - big, hard to pass, and dry stools. Today I was in tears because I had to bend her little knees to her stomach to help her get it out.

Over the course of 3 months she has gained a total of 8 oz. and grown 1/2 an inch. Any suggestions?

My first dd was breastfed and she was right on track.

Can I assume she's being weighed on the same scale each time?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yep - it is a small office, just the one pediatrician, nurse, and receptionist. She gets weighed twice to double-check it just in case of error.

-Lea

Well if she's constipated *I'd* think BM is still the best for her... there's no food out there with a better content of fat (save for avocado) and all the other "good stuff" than BM (see more in given link above )

Solids really seem to not be agreeing with her at this point.

SO if it were me, I'd just keep up with the regular and often nursings and see what happens of the next few weeks. Is she overall happy and lively? Has she recently started any new thing (like rolling, pulling up etc??) Any new teeth?

This page might offer some helpful info, too

As might this (about growth patterns of BF babies and growth charts).
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My DS was a slow gainer too. His ped. GI said to focus on giving him more BM/formula and fatty solids like avocado and rice cereal with high calorie formula. Sounds like your DD is eating a lot of solids - 1/2 cup twice a day seems like a lot for a 6 month old. I wouldn't add butter at this age - it might mess up her system. If she is happy, reaching her milestones and not dehydrated, I don't think the slow weight gain should be that terrible (of course I'm not a doctor). She's almost 14 pounds and that doesn't seem that small for a 6 month old - on the lighter side but not troubling small. My DS was 15 pounds at 6 months old but I'm petite so it didn't trouble us too much. GL!

I had this problem too. My little guy gained barely half a pound between 5 and six months. I had sooo many problems in the beginning that I knew I could rebuild the milk supply.

I started him on a new program to get fat and I think it's been working pretty well. I weighed him today and he's gained 7 ounces in 6 days. Here's what we did:

- nurse every hour at least. this is hard when the baby is this old! I nursed lying down for as much as he tolerated.
    - massage the breast and use compression during a letdown. For the first week, my breasts were totally deflated all the day long.
    - fenugreek 4x3 times daily. More milk plus capsules 4x day.
    - eat a lot. Oatmeal and toast with lots of butter. Snacking on raw almonds and fruit during the day. Hot soups for lunch. Eat as much beef as possible.
    - brewer's yeast with milk
    - barley water (google for the recipe)
    - as for solids, we just kept doing what we had done before. Don't pay much mind to when we feed and neither to the amount. Probably no more than 4 tablespoons a day.

OK. This is all slightly over the top, but I was worried. It took at least a week to see good results where it seemed like the baby was outdone by me.