Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 months old and solids

Default 7 months old and solids

Hi,
    my son is 7 months old and we're still pretty much exclusively breastfeeding.

one month ago i started trying to give him rice cereal mixed w/ BM once a day and he sort of (kind of) liked it - but not really.

since then, i've tried:

mashed banana
    avocado
    pureed carrots

he doesn't really like banana (and it was really ripe), is so-so on avocado, and doesn't like carrots.

i was only trying to incorporate solids approx. once a day...b/c he seems really interested. but when it comes to actually eating it, he turns away and closes his mouth.

yesterday we were eating basmati rice w/ a celery/mint/parsley/beef stew (it's a middle eastern dish) and i was like, why don't i give him some? i put it in this manual food mill (rice + stew) and he ate it! i even put some on his high chair tray and he picked it up and ate it!!! and i fed him from the spoon and he kept opening his mouth for more!

so that was just one small meal...

but my question is: do any of you have babies who aren't really interested in "baby food" - like rice cereal? or mashed up fruits and veggies? and who seem to like adult food that is mashed up?

i was hesitant to start solids - and don't want to overload his system (if that makes sense) w/ too many confusing foods....and i know it's more about taste/texture at this point - rather than nutrition. but i was just curious about other people's experiences.

he is 7 months old, was 7 lb 13 oz at birth, and now weighs 22 lbs - so he seems to be gaining weight fine. the pedi said he's at the 90% percentile, so i know he's getting nutrition from my BM and growing - but i wanted to be able to offer more solids....
    Last edited by la_baby01; April 30th, 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: grammar

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Default Re: 7 months old and solids

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think one issue with that is that if he has a food alegery you'd have no way of determining what food caused the reaction.

I know what you mean though, esp. the meat baby food...nasty!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna562 View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, but I would think one issue with that is that if he has a food alegery you'd have no way of determining what food caused the reaction.

I know what you mean though, esp. the meat baby food...nasty!

I screwed up recently and not thinking gave my LO something that had at least a couple things in it she hadn't had before... now I'm trying to figure out which of those caused a reaction so I know what to not give her in the future.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

yes, that was exactly my concern. if i did a few at once and it caused an allergic reaction i wouldn't know...and i've been so cautious about it.

so far, so good though.

well i tried yogurt this morning and he loved it - so maybe i will just do a little at a time and try to see what he likes.

Besides the allergy factor, I think with giving a LO the food WE eat, the problem lies in how it's prepared. Is it really salty? Is it greasy? Spicy? Etc. I think salty food especially are to be avoided at this age.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just assuming...
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Quote Originally Posted by la_baby01 View Post
    but my question is: do any of you have babies who aren't really interested in "baby food" - like rice cereal? or mashed up fruits and veggies? and who seem to like adult food that is mashed up?
    Yup. DD hated baby food. She didn't even like the pureed fruits and sweet potatoes that most babies seem to love. And she hated the spoon- she would turn her head away to moment it came at her. We gave in and started feeding her things from our plates. One of her first favorite foods was spicy fishcakes from the local Korean restaurant. They are covered in hot pepper flakes!

As the PPs have mentioned, the only thing to beware of is allergic reactions. If your child gets sick from something, you can be pretty certain what the cuplrit was if you give one food at a time. But if you don't have a family history of allergies, I'm not sure how much that issue should really worry you.

And can you please post the recipe for the rice-beef-mint-parsley stew? It sounds delicious!!!

hahahaha ok, here it is:

celery stew

ingredients:
    1 lb stew beef
    2 yellow onions
    6-7 stalks of celery
    3 bunches italian parsley
    1 bunch of fresh mint
    saffron
    salt, pepper, turmeric (like an orange colored powder - in the curry family)
    lime or lemon juice
    dried lemons (available in middle eastern markets - if not, it's ok - you can use the fresh one)

so:
    1) dice the onions and brown along w/ the beef in a 5-6 qt. pot with salt and pepper and about 2 tsp. turmeric.
    2) finely chop (or using a food processor) the parsley and mint, and set aside.
    3) chop the celery up (large chunks) and fry in some olive oil for about 5-8 minutes. add the herb mixture to the same pan and fry for another 10 minutes along w/ the celery.
    4) once the onions/beef are brown, add about 4 cups of water to the stew.
    5) bring the stew to a boil.
    6) once boiling, add a few threads of ground saffron, and 4 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice.
    7) turn the heat down and let simmer for 3-4 hours.

serve w/ basmati rice.

good luck!

Thanks for the recipe! It looks fantastic!

MY lo didn't baby food. We started with regular applesauce and then went right to table foods that are soft and cut pea sized... she feeds herself. Babies older than 6 months do not need pureed food.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I usually just give DD her own little helping of what we are having (if she's had it before without a problem). For example, she eats oatmeal, so if I make myself some oatmeal, I will give her just the oats, and I'll eat mine how I want. I only give her one new food at a time. She had a reaction to applesauce, which I would have never expected, so this is the only way to see what your LO tolerates well. So, for the meal you mentioned, if you LO has had say brown rice, you can give him a little of that and then eat the other stuff yourself). It doesn't have to be exactly what we are eating for DD to like it.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !