Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and Engorgement-Plugged Duct?

Exclamation Oversupply and Engorgement-Plugged Duct?

This is day two of trying to manage engorgement. Did cabbage and ice for a day and a half. Still doing ice regularly, and started back to cabbage on left side just now.

I am block nursing, starting with whichever side is most ingorged in AM. This happened to be the right side both days. Yesterday I ended nursing on the left side. LO sleeps through the night. (he is 11 weeks started nursing 6 days ago regularly. Intake is good, and latch is good when not engorged.)

Today my left breast is still lumpy and hard. Though not quite as bad as yesterday and the night before. I think I might be getting a plugged duct though, I have a very lumpy spot under left areola, but not sore. No fever today. I am taking ibuprofen.

This is the third day since I stopped pumping, and the fifth full day of trying to reduce supply. ( I pumped 1/2 ounce off right side to get baby to latch first time both days.) If it takes a week for my body to adjust, am I getting close?

If you have been through this, how long does it take to get to a happy medium. I don't mind the fullness, but I am scared of an infection. It will be the end for me if I get one. Does engorgement always lead to an infection?

IF you are a LLL leader and read this please email me. My LLL local contact has not emailed me in a week.

Default Re: Oversupply and Engorgement-Plugged Duct?

Would it be too difficult to wake baby at night? Frequent nursing is really going to help you in this situation. You may not even need to fully wake the baby in order to nurse. Have you heard of dream feeding?

Having lumps really doesn't sound good to me. You want to maybe try and do this more gradually. How much were you pumping before you started nursing full time (you said 6 days ago right?)

I was pumping 7 times a day. Three AM, Three PM, once at night or early AM.
    LO is now nursing 7-9 times a day.
    Even after one nursing, the lumpiness goes down to just normal fullness, and areola looks normal. My left nipple seems different than the other. The tip seems to have more little round areas than the other. No pain though.
    If it helps, I am taking Mucinex. Sounds crazy, but this is one thing that helps keep secretions thin, preventing sinus infections. I figure breasts have sinuses, maybe this will help prevent plugs?

Actually new information on breast formation states there is no actual sinus.

Have you tried reverse pressure softening to help get baby latched on? This is when you make a peace sign and place it around the nipple and push towards the back of the chest wall. This forces milk away from the nipple and allows for a deep latch.

At 11 weeks many women who have breasts that are being drained properly will nurse between 8-10 times per 24 hours. You are close to that I see.