Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clueless - sleeping at night and breastfeeding

Smile Clueless - sleeping at night and breastfeeding

I'm a first time mom and just not sure on what to do, hopefully i can get some suggestions here.

First question -
    My little girl is 5 weeks old now and i have been having issues with her weight. She goes up a couple of ounces and will go down a couple of ounces, I'm currently bfing and supplementing with formula as well. I don't know what else i should do if i should switch only to one or the other exclusively?? Has anyone else run into this?

Second question -
    My daughter hates to be put down by herself, if she is asleep and i put her in the bassinet or crib she will wake up within a couple of mins and start crying to be picked up. At night its the same thing so i end up pulling her into bed most times with us and then she will sleep.... I've tried using a hot water bottle in her bassinet and once she is asleep taking out the water bottle and placing her down and that seems to help a bit. Any other ideas? or will she slowly get used to sleeping by herself in the bed?

Thanks for checking this out and for any suggestions that you might have its greatly appreciated

Default Re: Clueless - sleeping at night and breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by shmurb View Post
    First question -
    I don't know what else i should do if i should switch only to one or the other exclusively?? Has anyone else run into this?
    I haven't been in the exact same situation. May I ask why you are supplementing? Do you feel your supply is low? Are you pumping at the times when baby recieves formula? Breastfeeding works by supply and demand, therefore, the more times you get baby to the breast, the more milk you will produce. I would advise exclusively breastfeeding. Baby may be finding out that she doesn't have to work as hard to get milk from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by shmurb View Post
    Second question -
    My daughter hates to be put down by herself... Any other ideas? or will she slowly get used to sleeping by herself in the bed?
    She is very young. If you and baby get more sleep by bringing her into bed with you, by all means, do it! It certainly worked for us when my dd was small. Very young babies need to be with their mother. She has been nice and warm inside of you for many, many months. She will likely have a hard time sleeping on her own on a flat, chilly surface. Other things that helped me to be able to put her down and keep her asleep for a short amount of time were swaddling, using the swing or bouncy seat to keep her moving, and eventually, allowing her to sleep on her tummy.
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

I'm supplementing with formula as i have had a breast reduction and when i gave birth it was recommended as we didn't know how much scar tissue i had. Since then my LO has become used to it however we generally only use the formula as a last choice, but when she is so upset and nothing will stop her from crying (different positions, getting up and bouncing her, changing bum then going back to bf...) then we give in and give bottle. Some days she is completly content bf. Other days she is not

Is there a certain time of day she is getting fussy? Is it about the same time every day, or is it sporadic? It is common for newborns to have a fussy period every day for up to a few months of age. My son was hysterical at night, until about three months he just stopped.
    Does your baby use a pacifier? I dont know if that is something you want to use or try, but some babies do just want to suck, and maybe thats why she likes the bottle, not just for the formula but to suck. Have you experimented with putting breastmilk in the bottle, and to see if content with that? Just trying to throw out some ideas for you.

As for the sleeping, I agree with marcie. I think it is hard for babies to adjust being with their mom to suddenly being alone. We took the side off of our sons crib and attatched it to our bed so my son could be close but still safe. We decided to start co sleeping at 6 weeks because nobody was getting any sleep before that! I hope you find something that works for you, and i wish you the best!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

1. Sorry I haven't had this experience, but we only nurse one side each feeding and it works great. Maybe someone else will give a better answer.

2. Co-sleeping is great and all, but it's not for everyone. I personally can't sleep well with baby next to me. From the beginning, I put baby in bassinet when it's dark in the room and outside. I also used a wedge, so that she could sleep on her side (make sure your pedi says this is okay first). I agree with PP, swaddling is awesome in the first couple of months. And, a paci was a life saver to me for the first couple of months (she doesn't like it anymore though). Once she wakes up to nurse if its after 4:30am, I do stick her in bed next to me. A book that has immensely helped me is : Secrets of The Baby Whisperer. Here's the website too: http://www.babywhisperer.com/babywhisperer.html They have pretty cool forums, but not as great as LLL!!!

HTH a little!

I agree with the swaddling. DD hated it at first but after a couple of nights she got use to it. DD sleeps in the playpen bassinet next to our bed, for about the first month she slept good by herself. Then one night all she would only stay asleep next to me. I finally figured out that the pad in the bassinet was too hard. So I took a quilt and folded it and layed her on that and now she sleeps good by herself.

My LO doesn't waiver with her weight but according to the doc she is a slw weight gainer (she's usually on the bottom 5% of the chart). He has suggested to supplement w/form. but because of her GERD and her inconsistent bm we decided it would be better to stay away from it. I'm not sure what could be causing the weight loss but as long as she's on one of the growth curves everytime she has a well visit I don't think there should be anything to worry about.

My LO slept in a basket (long story) for the first 2 weeks and then hated being put down anywhere by herself. It was the same story for naps and night time. She would only nap 10 min. at a time in her Amby baby hammock but if I put her on my chest to nap with me she was out for the entire time I napped for . So we decided to take her into bed with us because that's the only way anyone got any sleep. It was even harder for her to sleep on her own without mom because she was 4 wks ealry. I do enjoy cuddling with her but I usually don't sleep very comfortable with her next to me or on me. We exclusively co slept until about 3 weeks ago (she was 12 weeks) and we decided we wanted to try the Amby baby hammock again because its suppose to help with the GERD. We realized that by swaddling her tightly and having white noise in the background, she was actually sleeping on her on. I do have the hammock right next to the bed so I can pick her up or sometimes even just stick my hand in there with her (I can cont. to sleep and it clams her down). She's not sleeping all the way through the night but she usually will sleep in the hammock anywhere between 3-5 hours on her own which is obviously a huge improvement from 10min . She will then wake up for a feed and I usually fall asleep with her on my chest then for a few more hours. I think it just takes time for some babies to sleep on their own. I have learned with my LO that you just have to be patient and your LO will let you know when their ready for things such as sleeping on their own.

But do try swaddling and also the white noise. I think those helped tons with mine.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

I too co slept with my lo due to her fussing when alone as well as very frequent night feedings. It was a little un comfortable at times, but the whole family got a lot more sleep. I started trying to put her in her bassinet at 10 wks because I was going back to work and she slept very well alone at that point. I actually found she was sleeping better because if she whimpered she didnt have a brest right in her face, so she would actually go back to sleep on her own without feeding.