Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Break from pumping, now need to produce more

Default Break from pumping, now need to produce more

Hi,
    My dd is 5 months old. I pumped when she was younger and produced an adequate supply. Now, I'm trying to pump again and make bottles occasionally and sometimes I only get a little more than an ounce and that might be in the middle of the night. I try in the morning as well and get a little below 2 ounces or ounce and half. Also, one breast definately doesn't produce as much and she stops eating soon, I always seem to switch her to the other side and now I don't think I have enough in my left during several times of the day.
    What is the best time to pump? In between two feedings? Like an hour after a feeding? Or right after a feeding? Can I build up supply again at the pump at 5 months? Sometimes, I get a mark on my aerola(sp?) from the nipple shield and wonder if this is contributing to the problem. I need help because I'd like to get out some and leave a bottle with a sitter. Would you say 4 ounces is enough for a 5 month old.
    Thanks for your help!!!
    Carrie

Default Re: Break from pumping, now need to produce more

Hi Carrie,
    I also have problems being able to pump large amounts of milk. One thing that works well for me is to pump one breast on the first feeding of the day while my son nurses on the other. I have to put him in the football hold for this to work. Not sure if you can do it without an electric pump. Also, maybe you can get a pumping session in after your daughter is in bed?

Here's a link to help calculate how much milk to leave:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

You also mentioned that you are getting marks from the pump. Either the suction is too high, or you may need a larger flange. Here's some more info on the flange:
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

Jennifer

Default Re: Break from pumping, now need to produce more

Thanks Jennifer,
    Both of those links were really helpful. I think I will go to see a lactation consultant to get more pump checked as well.
    Thanks!
    Carrie