Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Combination pill while BFing

Default Combination pill while BFing

I was taking the mini-pill, but once my period started back, I was bleeding almost constantly. When I saw the OB/Gyn, she suggested going back to what I was taking before the pregnancy, which is Levlen, a combination pill. I asked her about nursing and milk supply, and she said it shouldn't be an issue since we're well established. DD is 12 mo. So I agreed, but after I left and thought about it more, I started to get nervous that it could have a significant affect on my supply.

Anyone use a combination pill while nursing an older LO? Was there an affect on your supply?
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Default Re: Combination pill while BFing

Here is a good link. Below is a quote from the above link.

Milk supply: Estrogen-containing contraceptives have been linked to low milk supply and a shorter duration of breastfeeding even when started when baby is older, after milk supply is well established. Not all mothers who take contraceptives containing estrogen will experience a low milk supply, but these unaffected mothers appear to be a very small minority.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Thanks for the link. I had seen that before, which was part of the reason I was concerned. I guess I just wondered if there were other moms who had tried it while BFing who could relay how it went for them.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Don't know if it is an option for you but I switched from the minipill to the Mirena IUD which actually increased my supply.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo