Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottles in freezer

Default bottles in freezer

i have only 5 bottles of ebm in my freezer but today i got a chart from wic on storing milk. it says on the chart something like store bm without nipple (in freezer). i didnt do that when i stored it woops. when storing bm in freezer do you need to do this? if so is the milk good? iwonder why?

Default Re: bottles in freezer

Right. You want to store it with a sealing disk instead of a bottle nipple. This assures that the bottle is airtight, helping to keep out germs and odor and prevent freezer burn.

How long ago did you store the milk with the nipples on?

I use breastmilk storage bags instead of bottles because I would use up the bottles that I need. Just a thought.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

i had them in their for 2-3weeks now. do i need to dump them out?i hope not. man i wish i new about this before. i didnt really know about storage bags till a few days ago when i asked the wic counselor cos i ran outa bottles. what are sealing disks? thanks for the help. im such a dork

You're definitely NOT a dork!

When you thaw your milk out, you can do the sniff and taste test. If it passes that, it's good. I would suggest removing the nipple and sealing the bottle so it will last longer, AND mark that milk to use it first.

This is what sealing disks look like:
    http://www.babysupermall.com/main/pr.../eve20112.html

I get all confused with how long you can store a frozen BM in the freezer. Some say it;s good till 6months, others say only one month. I understand what ind of freezer you store it in is a consideration.

I'm storing mine in the small fridge in our room. The freezer doesn't have it's own door, but we open the fridge only about 4-5 times a day, less when my husband and I are both at work (I'm currently on maternity leave right now).

Anybody have an idea how long my frozen EBM will last in there?
    MommyOnTop
    Mom to Issen (11.02.06) and Kobe (04.10.08)

is it realy cold?
    The colder the longer the milk is going to last.
    I agree try the sniff test.
    IF it smells ok then it should be ok.

omg ive seen those before and never knew what they were for