Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent Nightwaking/feedings

Default Frequent Nightwaking/feedings

My DS is almost 4 months and weighs over 18 lbs. He was sleeping about 8 hours, then feeding, and then sleeping another 2 hours. Over the course of the past two weeks or so, he has been waking up every 2 hours and sometimes more frequently. He always seems hungry as he does empty the breast and then falls back to sleep. Is this a signal that he's ready to start solids? If not, does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on or how I can help him to sleep a bit longer, or is this just the way it is going to be?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Frequent Nightwaking/feedings

My dd is almost 3 months and she used to sleep a good 7 hours at night w/o feeding and would eat every 3-4 hours during the day. Any last night she was eating every 3 hours and did not sleep a straight 7 hours. I hoping it is a growth spurt and she will settle down back into 7 hours

I don't know if this will be any help to you but I knew my baby was ready for a different kinda food when she started reaching for my food. I started her on cereal and she loved it, especially loved feeding herself!!
    She usually eats every two hours and wakes up twice each night. During the day, unless she doesn't feel good, she has been able to go around 2 1/2 to 3 hours now.
    She is 6 months old and just now we are starting out with vegetables. She now eats every 3 hours and wakes up once during the night.
    I also had that same feeling you did that my child needed more than my breast milk.

This sounds like a growth spurt. The same thing happens with my daughter now and then and she is the same age as yours (probably same weight too). We had to put bumper pads in her crib because her arms and legs ended up hanging out the sides and she would wake up because the got caught. Have you noticed it this is happening? Good luck.

DS hasn't been moving around the crib because I keep him in a Tucker Sling with the mattresss very elevated for his reflux. It really has helped him sleep. The first night he went from sleeping 2 hours at a time to 5 and then to 7. He'd slept about 7 hours at a time for about 1 month and then it fell apart. Also, he used to go down very easily (drowsy and then right to sleep.) Lately he's been much more difficult. Right now DH is bouncing him on an exercise ball b/c he won't go to sleep. Maybe I need to move his bedtime back a bit. Hmmm... this sleeping thing was so straightforward but not any more .

I hear you! Just got thrown a curve ball myself: 8 oclock bedtime?? Now I have to figure out whether or not I should let her sleep and hope stays asleep or risk waking her up to nurse her before I go to bed!! Hate these decisions. . .

I can feel your pain- my daughter is almost 5 months, and wakes up a lot at night-for her, it's not a hunger issue-it's a comfort issue. She wants to nurse to go back to sleep, and since I co-sleep with her, it's always right there. Once in a great while, she'll sleep a solid 7 hours-about everyfew weeks or so. Other than that, she's usually up every 3 hours at night, and feeds more often during the day.

Doesn't two weeks seem like a long growth spurt though? I feel as though something else is at play. Last night, he wouldn't go to sleep until 1.5 hours after his usual bedtime. Finally he went down at 9:15. He never fights his bedtime. Then he got up at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30, 5:30, then he likes to go to his swing and then he slept until about 6. Usually when I put him in his swing he sleeps until at least 6:45. I don't know what is going on with his schedule. It just changed overnight.

My dd turned 3 months and about 3 weeks were like that for us. Up every 1.5 - 2 hours. It was very hard. She is starting to go back and do 4-5 hour stretches and then that follows with 2-3 hour stretches. I don't know if she will ever sleep longer!