Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant clogging and supply issue (too much)

Unhappy Constant clogging and supply issue (too much)

Hi ladies,

I am new to this forum and am hoping you all can give me some advice.

Here is a little history. I have a 5 month old baby boy named Isaac. He was born with a cleft lip and gum. Because of the cleft I was unable to nurse him so I pumped until he had his surgery (when he was 3 months old). He finally learned to nurse and everything is all messed up now. I constantly have clogged milk ducts and I feel like I have an over abundance of milk. I have been taking lecithin (sp?) and another thing that has helped with the clogs is to pump before I go to bed to make sure everything is empty. But even with all this I still get a severe clog once or twice a week (consistantly). I get really discouraged because they are so hard to get rid of and I always want to quit but I just can't. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Any advice would help .

Thank you so much!!!

Default Re: Constant clogging and supply issue (too much)

Congrats for keeping up the pumping for so long! It must be frustrating to have all these plugged ducts just when you thought breastfeeding was going to be easier when your sons could finally latch on.

There's a good article on kellymom about recurrent clogged ducts and how to deal with them:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

Does that help? Are you in touch with a lactation consultant about your plugged ducts?

I have talked to my LC in the past about it. But, they just said that some people are more prone to them then others.

My little guy got it out for me this morning (he is my hero). So, I just have to try and prevent them with some tips from kellymom. Thanks for the advice.

Alli

I have constantly plugged ducts too!! One thing that helped me was to have baby's chin pointed at the plugged area. For that, you will have to get creative trying different positions. That plus moist heat and massage before feeding or expressing by hand. Hope it gets better for you!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I have also heard that the type of bra you wear may be a culprit. Wear an all cotton bra with no underwire and a really stretchy cup (not a padded one).

Thanks for the ideas.

Oh, surprise, surprise, I have another clog BAH!!

Today I decided not to stress out about it like I normally do because my son will get it out eventually

Thanks again

hang in there, that happens to me too. with my DD i often followed the plugged ducts with mastitis. not fun. i found that it had a lot to do with her latch and how agressive of a nurser she was. whenever she teethed, she would be rougher and that led to problems. i figured out that if i got to her sore gums with a cold wash cloth first it seemed to help.

good luck!