Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up?!

Question Spitting up?!

Ok so my baby girl is 3 months old! Sometimes after eating she spits up, but she doesnt fuss like shes hungry or anything like that! Is she over eating and thats whats causin her to spit up? Its not all the time either, its just sometimes!

Default Re: Spitting up?!

She is probably eating too much. My boy, for about a week, spit up at least once a day. And not little dribbles, I mean erupting fountains of spit up. It was very scary at first and then we figured out he was overeating. I would keep an eye on how empty my breast was becoming (not the clock) and pull him off, burp him and if he was still hungry, put him back on.

Default Re: Spitting up?!

mine is doing the same thing- has been for a few weeks. we have explored the reflux route (see my post with ?s on this) but i am not confident reflux is the problem. the past few days i have been trying to feed her less frequently. previous to this i was nursing her every time i saw her suck her hands thinking she was hungry, so to make a long story short, pretty much she was just grazing all day long and was maybe overeating. the past few days i have been trying to cut back to every two hours or so (she is 9.5 weeks & over 11 lb) unless she is acting desperately hungry i will feed her sooner than this. so far it seems to be working, she has not spit up or thrown up (knock on wood) since i have started this and our nursing sessions have been happier too, she is not fussing so much, etc... and she is also nursing longer- where before i was always questioning whether she was done because she pulled off after only a few minutes and acted like she was not interested. then she would act hungry again 30 mins later. i was nursing all day! no wonder i was exhausted and she was throwing up! we are going to keep doing this and see if it works!