Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have to exclusively pump - does pumping help you lose wight too?

Default Have to exclusively pump - does pumping help you lose wight too?

FTM. Have to exclusively pump - does pumping help you lose wight too?

Not sure what it is about bfing that aids in post-partum weight loss. My LO will not latch so I am EPing.

Will I too get the benefits of weight loss or does it only benefit those who nurse from the breast?

Default Re: Have to exclusively pump - does pumping help you lose wight too?

The reason women experience weight loss from breast feeding is that breast milk contains about 20 calories per ounce (just like the average formula). So yes, pumping should help keep weight down just as much as breast feeding.

It burns calories producing milk which is why some women experience weight loss while bf. However, bf/pumping also makes you hungrier. Some women lose weight fast while bf/pumping while others don't. Hopefully you will be one of the fortunate ones!

Is there anything we can help you with regarding your latch issue? Have you talked with a International Board Certified Lactation Consultant? It is so much easier to nurse than to pump so you might want to try working on the latch issue. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Chloesmommy View Post
    The reason women experience weight loss from breast feeding is that breast milk contains about 20 calories per ounce (just like the average formula). So yes, pumping should help keep weight down just as much as breast feeding.
    Which is why I plan to pump until my LO is 35...
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Lainey's mom - I have met with several different LC, one of which who has come to my home and the prognosis by all 3 is that my issue is "not a lactation issue."

DD has a form of being tongue-tied that cannot be corrected by anything but therapy. Her natural position is to keep her tongue up at the roof of her mouth.

She actually wants to and tries to latch, but she keeps her tongue up and can't get milk. It pools under her tongue, then she chokes, gags, cries and gets frantic. She can put it down and her suck has been evaluated and its great, its just that she doesn't put it down.

We finally got her to take a bottle (in fact she is in 3% for her age and Dr. was threatening to hospitalize her since she was not gaining weight because she wasn't getting any food due to this tongue issue and we had no idea what the issue was). Now that we know, we get her to take a bottle by forcing her tongue down with our fingers but I can't do that to bf.

We're taking her to a speech therapist but not until next week. It was hard to get an appointment. Apparently many babies have issues that require therapy at such a young age.

I know that was long but its so sad to me. I had hopes of bfing until she was 24 months and now we're 3 weeks in and my poor baby tries and wants to, but physically does not know how. Breaks my heart.

The previous posters have mentioned that your milk is high in calories and fat, and there for the act of making the milk itself is really what's "burning" your calories. That being said, some women loose a lot of weight, and some don't loose any at all!

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one, perhaps you can get in touch with a local LLL Leader to talk? We are around for "non lactation" issues too
    Click in the gray bar at the top to get the list of leaders local to you.
    Lot's of skin to skin time with your baby will help you guys, and if it's something you want to work on for the future some babies can be taught how to latch on after therapy. Your doing an awesome job mama, you really are.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

My LO has a tongue-tie too (not as bad as your LO's, but I just got bad advice so no clip), so I EP, and I am about 25lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight, so it seems to work for me.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

LLLJessica - Thank you for your kind words! I did not know LLL helped with non-lactation issues. Good to know.

Lance's mom - I sent you a private email with tons of questions re your weight loss.