Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is going on??

Default What is going on??

Hi there, my beautiful DS is now 14 weeks old and about 2 weeks ago he started doing this strange biting thing. When he has finished BF hes likes to lie on his tummy on my chest with his head on my shoulder. Now when he does it he has started pulling his little head back and then opening his mouth very wide and pushing his gums down on my shoulder and moving his head from side to side. He also does this to his hands and arms and anything he can get hos mouth round. He does not seem to be in pain with it so dont know if its teething?? My DH thinks it is hunger even though he does it after a feed!! Could be a growth spurt i guess.?? He has also started getting very distracted while bf. he feeds for a bit then pulls off and looks around and starts smiling then feeds again, etc etc. the little tyke!!!! He also drools like niagra falls. Could it be time to wean?? (well, at the 17 week minimum point??)

DS weighs 15lbs so is gaining v well and is a v hungry boy.

Default Re: What is going on??

Hi, it sounds like your son may be teething. The drooling and wanting counterpressure on his gums are signs of teething. Do you feel anything on his lower gums?

My son started acting like he's teething around the same age. He's over six months now and still no teeth, so it can take a while!

My son has been doing the same thing since he was 2 1/2 months old. He is now almost 5 months old and still does it, but no teeth yet. It is not a sign of weaning, just teething. Keep up the good work with bf, hopfully you will make it to at least a year.

yep, sounds like early teething.
    most folk dont realise that teeth come out in 2 stages - first when the teeth come out of the jaw and later when they actually come out of the gum. so babies can show clear signs of teething for a couple of months before any teeth show up, and it can come and go in spurts.
    I wouldnt worry about it. let him rub is gums on stuff as he likes, its pretty normal.

just a question; what's the 17 week minumum?? Why would you start weaning so young? I believe the WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months at the earliest, and bfing until 12 - 24 months.

My DD is the same age and has been doing this for a month. I believe it's teething too and just the ability to get those hands in the mouth better. They don't have to look they are in pain. And I'm with the other moms, try bfing for at least 6 months. 15 pounds! Sounds like the bfing is going great. Don't stop now!

I intend to bf as well as introducing new foods. My HV said that the min age for weaning is 17 weeks. My ds still wakes most nights (twice) for feeds although sometimes he goes 6 hours asleep (very rarely), other times just 2 hours. I would happily exclusively bf for as long as needed but I am following my little ones lead and if he needs more food then I will supply it. He acts very interested every time I eat and seems as though he wants to try!! I know it is too early yet and I will hold off as long as poss but it is my boys time now and if there is anything I can do to make his journey through life the best it can be, I will endeavor to do it!

Thanks for all your comments/advice. I do agree that he may be teething early!