Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS newbie

Question SNS newbie

Hi all.

I'm beginning to use the SNS to ensure my delicate little nurser gets enough while learning to nurse more strongly.

I got a great lesson today from the lactation nurse, but it's a lot harder at home alone!

Specifically, how do I get the tube taped just right so it stays in place and doesn't poke out? My daughter quickly let me know she won't take the breast if the tube is not laying flat. My challenge is keeping the tube in place (with the tape decently far from where her mouth will be) and getting her latched on at the same time with a good, deep, properly positioned latch.

Generally, I'd love to hear any tips or stories others can share.
    Thanks!

Default Re: SNS newbie

I ended up taping the tube pretty close to where my daughter's mouth was going to be. It made positioning the tube slightly easier, though honestly I never got particularly good at it. Since I always worried that my baby was going to suck off the tape, I used a really long piece so that I could catch the ends in case it started going in her mouth.

HTH, and hang in there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Rosch View Post
    Hi all.

I'm beginning to use the SNS to ensure my delicate little nurser gets enough while learning to nurse more strongly.

I got a great lesson today from the lactation nurse, but it's a lot harder at home alone!

Specifically, how do I get the tube taped just right so it stays in place and doesn't poke out? My daughter quickly let me know she won't take the breast if the tube is not laying flat. My challenge is keeping the tube in place (with the tape decently far from where her mouth will be) and getting her latched on at the same time with a good, deep, properly positioned latch.

Generally, I'd love to hear any tips or stories others can share.
    Thanks!
    Hey there Mama! I just got told I could stop using the SNS today at our latest weight check.

I agree that its quite difficult to get the hang of at home. for you!

Here is what worked for us:

I used a Bandaid about an inch away from my nipple. I threaded the tube through the part with the gauze. This kept the tube in place, but also let it move around a little, especially if I was using several different holds to nurse my daughter in. (she likes to start off in the clutch hold, and then move to the cross cradle after my first let down.)

Also, I latched her own without the tube. She also would spit the tube out or fuss at the breast if the tube was sticking out. Once she was latched on and sucking, I'd slip the tube right under her top lip, so it was barely in her mouth. I could see the milk around her top lip, and hear her actively swallowing. This way, the tube wasn't around the nipple (which hurt me too!) so she wasn't bothered by it. She normally took an ounce or an ounce and a half out of the SNS this way.

Sometimes I'd also slip the tube into the corner of her mouth and aim it towards the roof of her mouth - that also seemed to work well.

There is a video that shows how to use the SNS system, but I don't know the link for it. Hopefully one of the Leaders will pop on and be able to link you to it.

Its hard work, but SO worth it! I actually semi - enjoyed using it because I got a good idea of how much my daughter was getting, so it made me feel better.

To hang my SNS, I put a towel over my headboard. I clipped the SNS to the towel over whichever side I was using.

I HTH you, and you CAN do this!!

Smile Re: SNS newbie

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. We are getting better. My kiddo has gained 12 oz in 6 days!

How long did you all use the SNS before weaning off it? How do I know if it is time? I have tried nursing without it, and she stays awake a bit longer and sucks a bit harder, but I know we're not ready yet.

Thanks a lot!

I used the SNS for a week before we came off of it. My 3 week old DD was rejecting the tube - she'd fuss if it was in her mouth. I talked to the LC about it, and she said that as long as my DD gained at least an ounce a day over the next 2 days, we could stay off of the SNS. Two days later, she had gained the 2 ounces the LC wanted to see, so we came off of the SNS. She'll go for another WC on Monday to ensure that she's gaining well.

The weight gain of your LO is spot on! Great job, Mama!