Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my baby won't breastfeed, she chose the bottle

Unhappy my baby won't breastfeed, she chose the bottle

I have a 3 week old baby girl that won't breastfeed anymore. She was given formula at the hospital because I was under a lot of medication but when I could breastfeed I did, until last week when she would choke, fuss and cry every time I breastfed and she stopped laching on. I visited the local lactation consultant and I found out that I had an over-active letdown and I followed everything she told me unsuccessfully. I have been expressing my milk and giving her a bottle but my right breast is always so engorged (it's very uncomfortable and painful sometimes) and my left breast seems so small compared to my right one. I don't know what to do!I do want to breastfeed and I don't think I can keep on pumping much longer.

Default Re: my baby won't breastfeed, she chose the bottle

OALD (see link for more info) or overactive/forceful letdown can be tricky to manage, but it can be done

Have you contacted your LC again with this update?

Did she talk to you at all about block feeding?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Arrow Re: my baby won't breastfeed, she chose the bottle

When I went to see the LC she gave me lots of pointers like: using the upright position for nursing, using the same breast for 4 hours (block breastfeeding) using the scissor hold, pumping or hand expressing before feeding. I tried them all but still she won't lach for more than 1 minute before she starts crying and refusing the breast I usually try for 15 mins before she frantically cries then I "give up" and bottle feed her (breastmilk).

I have OALD and I find that when we use the "laying down" position the flow is less forcefull. When my OALD was really bad, I had to lay on my back and place my LO across my belly so that he is on top of my breast.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by caro&valentina View Post
    When I went to see the LC she gave me lots of pointers like: using the upright position for nursing, using the same breast for 4 hours (block breastfeeding) using the scissor hold, pumping or hand expressing before feeding. I tried them all but still she won't lach for more than 1 minute before she starts crying and refusing the breast I usually try for 15 mins before she frantically cries then I "give up" and bottle feed her (breastmilk).
    I hear you. We have gone through the same thing. I found that the little bit little hand expression right before I'd nurse would get the first letdown "out" and then DS had a much easier time with it - that coupled with the block feeding as well as upright nursing.

Block feeding needs to be done continually for a good amount of time before it really starts working. Are you still doing it??? I'ts just the beginning! You can do this.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

as baby getts bigger its going to get beter...
    how is baby growing?

is she latching on now?
    Even for a few feeds a day?

how are you feeding her? with bottle?

this link might help
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html
    its got some good ideas for getting baby back to the breast

Quote Originally Posted by sch.mommy View Post
    I have OALD and I find that when we use the "laying down" position the flow is less forcefull. When my OALD was really bad, I had to lay on my back and place my LO across my belly so that he is on top of my breast.
    We had to do this, too! It was hard at first because my LO still needed to get used to all that milk rushing into her mouth, but she eventually figured it out. The more you can get your baby to the breast, the better. I know it's hard and frustrating, but it is very worth it!

Keep us posted!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

For about the first week or two of my daughter's life she would not bf. She was still in the hospital so I had nurses to consult. They gave her a nipple to work with the was difficult to draw from and then I was right there to offer my breast when she found it frustrating. I expressed a little beforehand so I would not choke her with forceful let down and she quickly learned that my breast was easier than the bottle. The other thing you can try, which my LN tells new mommies, is to nuzzle with her as if to bf and give her the bottle. Once she is comfy, switch to the breast. Sometimes you can trick them and they eventually come to realize that the breast is a nice place to be.
    Good luck momma!

well, Valentina is one month old now and I'm still expressing and she still prefers the bottle, BUT I'M EXHAUSTED! I put her to nurse before I give her the bottle and she does it on and off for about 5 mins (she gulps a lot when she tries to nurse) then she realizes that is not the bottle and gets really mad and pulls away. I told my pediatrician and I demonstrated how I get her to nurse, she told me that I did it just fine and that she was lached on perfectly but that demonstration only lasted 5 mins and she didn't get to see Valentina after that! I'm still trying, and I have read lots of articles on babies who won't nurse I wonder if but the time she's 2 or 3 months old she can still go back to the breast.(I'M AVOIDING FORMULA BUT WOULD IT GET TO THE POINT WHERE I HAVE TO)