Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calorie boosters

Default calorie boosters

Hi ladies, I was wondering what kinds of calorie boosting solids you are feeding your LO's. Just got a print out from our pedi and I just laughed at the suggestions. A few were cheesebugers, hot dogs, ice cream and eggnog.
    Currently I'm serving chicken thigh meat cooked in olive oil, avocado, flax seed oil in whole fat yogurt. I really want something that is easy for a 10month old to eat on the go.

Default Re: calorie boosters

a friend of mine has a "skinny" 19 month old and her pedi has her feeding heavy whipping cream rather than milk.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yummo! I wish I had a doctor tell me I could have heavy cream instead of milk... wow! Doesn't sound too good for a little one, though. I'm going to keep checking this post since I have a tiny baby, too. She's just starting on purees at 6 1/2 months, but we'll be there before you know it!

Hotdogs? No wonder we have such a high childhood obesity rate.

Here is a link from KellyMom with the calorie and fat content of some first foods
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by levismom View Post
    A few were cheesebugers, hot dogs, ice cream and eggnog.
    Sounds like a good path to a belly ache! Your suggestions are right on track. We use olive oil on lots of things. Maybe you can try mini-meatballs (turkey or beef). I bake them for my son in the oven with a little bit of cheese, egg, breadcrumbs in the mix. Of course you should make sure that your LO is okay with all the ingredients first.

Some other on the go things could be full fat yogurt, cheese, banana.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Just a note, I have a son who has been diagnosed with FTT and we put him on a diet the pedi recommended. Pediasure, adding Carnation instant breakfast to his whole milk and myriad other things and he has dental problems now. I'm not saying don't try to find ways to boost calories, just try to find ways of doing it healthily. Avocado is a very good and natural way to boost calories and it can be pureed and added to lots of sauces. I add it to marinara sauce because my son loves pasta. I found a book on toddler nutrition that I like a lot First Meals by Annabel Karmel. It's not geared toward adding calories, but it gives you a good basic diet that you can start off on and build with. Olive oil and flax seed are both good ones to add or mix in to foods to help add calories. You can try doing homemade dips like hummus too. Those are healthy but easy to mix in a little extra calorie items. I'm going to be watching this thread. DS is almost 3 now, but I'm still always looking for new ideas to help add calories. He's gotten wise to some of mine already. I also went to mypyramid.gov and got a food pyramid for his age group and started counting his calories as ridiculous as that sounds for a two year old. As far as how many calories you should go for I would talk to you pediatrician or a nutritionist about that. I have found over the course of a year that my DS needs extra calories above what is the norm for his age group but he's extremely active and has a high metabolism from what both our nutritionist and pediatrician can tell.
    Last edited by mammamia; April 30th, 2008 at 10:07 PM.

I used to add a little bit of extra virgin coconut oil in my son's fruit purees when he was not gaining due to frequent nursing strikes. Whole fat cottage cheese is also a good source of calories.

Thanks for all the suggestions I really loved the turkey meatball idea. What kind of foods are you all taking on the go? I'm over our whole grain O's, want something with more substance KWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by levismom View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions I really loved the turkey meatball idea. What kind of foods are you all taking on the go? I'm over our whole grain O's, want something with more substance KWIM?
    If you do make turkey meatballs, try to avoid the all-breast ground turkey. Its really low in fat. The dark meat has the fat.

Today I had a Dr's appt and brought apple slices, muffin, and cheddar cheese for snacks.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)