Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: helping a friend, please help as well.

Default helping a friend, please help as well.

My friend has a one month old DD. She tried BFing for a week and a half when she found out her DD had a bowel problem and trouble gaining weight. Her Pedi told her to give baby karo syrup and formula feed also to give her rice cereal too. So she has been doing that for the past 3 1/2 weeks.
    PLUS my friend "said" her milk hadnt come in after 9 days. So she gave up on breastfeeding due to baby problems, depression, coliky baby & her milk "not" coming in.
    **Im not sure if her milk ACTUALLY DIDNT come in or if she just gave up too soon** personally my milk didnt come in for 8 days. so.

Well now that her DD is doing WAY better and gaining weight she wants to try to get her back to breast.

Im not 100% sure but i DOUBT she has been pumping this whole time, so im not sure if that plays a factor in getting baby back to breast?

I told her I would find information about this for her since she is so busy with her DD.

Please help if you have any information for us. =) Thanks!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: helping a friend, please help as well.

never mind she doesnt want me help =/

this is what she told me
    "hey
    thank you so much.
    i just dont see it working :/ the next time i have a baby i hope to get on the pills and really try my hardest to get some milk.
    she latched wonderfully. i just wasnt producing enough milk. she would scream and scream and scream all day. i would even try pumping in between feedings and there was nothing. my milk never dropped either. not a thing. and after i stopped i didnt leak or become engorged. seriously. isnt that awful?
    did i tell you that my grandma and both aunts had the same problem? they just didnt have enough milk and all had to formula feed after trying for a few weeks."

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: helping a friend, please help as well.

It's hard to hear that, I know. You are such a good friend to offer to help.

Just try to remind yourself that it's not your baby and it's not your choice. In the meanwhile, continue to be a good role model for breastfeeding should she choose to consider it with her next child. Hopefully, she will research some more and ask for help if she needs it. If not, well, you tried! That's really all we can do, right?

Take care!