Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reverse cycling

Default reverse cycling

Does anyone have any ideas on encouraging my 10 week old to reverse cycle? He's still waking about 3 times a night, which I LOVE (we're cosleeping, and it's so, so easy!). But I'm starting to worry about him sleeping through the night, as funny as that sounds! With me working during the day, night time nursing is so special to me.

How can I encourage him to keep nursing at night, so I don't loose my cuddle time?

Default Re: reverse cycling

If it's any consolation, DD2 (5 months) is waking up 4-5x's every night to nurse and doesn't eat as much during the day with the sitter. Your LO may not change his habits at all!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My DD reversed cycled, but I dont think we did anything to encourage it.

If you are co-sleeping and trying to get baby to latch on as much as possible - that may be all you can do at night.

How much does baby nurse during the day?

That amount of waking is typical - so what would be the ideal outcome if you were in charge of it all???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    How much does baby nurse during the day?

That amount of waking is typical - so what would be the ideal outcome if you were in charge of it all???
    I'm not saying I want to change anything, I'm just wondering how to keep him nursing at night for as long as possible!

My ds reverse cycles and he's 23 months and still wakes up 3-5 times per night. We cosleep and he has easy access so it works for us. So if you want to keep it up, just keep responding to him and letting him nurse when he needs it. Beyond that there's not much else you can do. If he somehow miraculously decides to sleep longer then that will mean he's ready to do so but probably that day won't come for a long time.

I had the same problem and my lactation consultant gave me some great suggestions: at daycare, change the milk temperature (serve it cold), serve the milk in a sippy cup instead of a bottle, try to give the milk in a quiet place or perhaps put a cover over the babies head. For home, breastfeed the moment you get home, and then before bed. What worked for us was cold milk in a sippy cup. She still doesn't drink a lot but she does a lot better. One other thing that worked well was to serve the milk when she wakes from a nap, she is groggy and more receptive to staying still long enough to drink some.

co sleeping will deff help. As soon as we got DD out of our bed, her night nursing slowed down, She is 9 months now and sleeps 10 hours straight in her crib. Every so often I bring her to bed with us and she will nurse a couple of times through the night.