Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids questions!

Default Solids questions!

DS is now five months - We've been doing rice cereal on and off since 4 1/2 months, only once a day, and he loves it. I recently attempted peas which I mashed in the blender. I can sit him up without anything around him for balance and he does all right with that.

So, I guess I have a couple questions!

1. I was reading the kellymom.com on Starting Solids, and it mentioned:
    "The easiest way to get extra iron for your baby five or six months of age is by giving him meat. Infant cereal has iron, but it is poorly absorbed and may cause the baby to be constipated."
    So, does this mean I can give DS meat? How can I even attempt to do that without him choking?

2. Are finger foods OK for a five month old, or should I wait for 6 months? He loves to grab at food and attempts to stick his fingers in his mouth, but so far I've tried to keep him away from doing that .. Last time, he grabbed at DH's chili and I just quick washed his hands.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: Solids questions!

From what I have read, finger foods are more for 9 to 12 month olds. I am a first time mom so I am basically following what I read from Dr. Sears books. I just read this morning about how common it is for babies to choke so I would just go slowly and only feed pureed (sp?) foods for now. I'm pretty sure I have seen meat sold in the baby food section. I think chicken is the first meat recommended. I'm worried about iron too, still doing the rice cereal thing. I'm reading a book called superbabyfoods, not yet to the iron section yet but there is a website superbabyfoods.com you could check out. hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
    DS is now five months - We've been doing rice cereal on and off since 4 1/2 months, only once a day, and he loves it. I recently attempted peas which I mashed in the blender. I can sit him up without anything around him for balance and he does all right with that.

So, I guess I have a couple questions!

1. I was reading the kellymom.com on Starting Solids, and it mentioned:
    "The easiest way to get extra iron for your baby five or six months of age is by giving him meat. Infant cereal has iron, but it is poorly absorbed and may cause the baby to be constipated."
    So, does this mean I can give DS meat? How can I even attempt to do that without him choking?

2. Are finger foods OK for a five month old, or should I wait for 6 months? He loves to grab at food and attempts to stick his fingers in his mouth, but so far I've tried to keep him away from doing that .. Last time, he grabbed at DH's chili and I just quick washed his hands.
    I have read that LLL recommends meat. You can give your lo chicken and turkey and beef.. but I think that was more for if you start solids after 6 months of age. I don't think I would give a baby less than 6 months anything that wasn't super pureed. After 6 months you don't need to puree stuff. WE didn't really start solids till 8 months but we did give meat pretty early. Finger foods are for when a baby has a pincer grasp which is somwhere between 8-9 months range.
    The whole iron thing is really controversal. Personally I think most babies get enough iron from breastmilk and regular food.... babies iron stores last AT LEAST 6 months so I would think you would be fine for a while. Just an FYI.. I only gave my dd baby cereal twice in her life and never a vitamin with iron and I had her iron levels checked at 9 months old and she was perfectly fine...... I don't think we need to worry about iron as much as docs try to make us think we do.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I tend to agree with excited2bemama. I would think that with a 5-month-old, you really, really don't need to worry about getting iron from any source but your milk.

I'm not quite sure why you're feeding your baby solids? It's totally up to each family and each baby what you want to do. But these foods are pretty hard on your baby's little system. You might consider waiting another month or so before really going forward with solids that you mentioned (meat, finger foods).

Another personal preference, but some moms like to have their babies nurse at least one year. If that's the case with you, you might want to check out this kellymom link on what leads to early weaning (i.e. before one year).

These are some things I wish I would have known with my first baby! Take it or leave it, every mom is different!

Good luck!

And... just to add... if baby isn't showing readiness signs, he's not ready for finger foods.

When he does get to that stage, you can check out the many good links on kellymom, LLL and even threads here.

#1 key learn the difference between choking and gagging and take an infant/child CPR class.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.