Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start crackers or other bread-like food?

Default When to start crackers or other bread-like food?

My LO is 7 months old and currently eating only pureed baby food.

When and what other bread-like foods (like crackers, cheerios, etc.) should I give her?

Last time I let her dry a salt-less saltine crackers, she about choked on it.

How will I know when she's ready? And should I expect some choking at first until she learns to swallow pieces of food like that?
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: When to start crackers or other bread-like food?

was it choking or gagging????, bec there is a big diff and my lo gags at big pieces but loves to eat solids, so i break things up into pea size pieces (cheerios into 2-3 pieces, etc) We started this about a month ago and she is 8.5 mo! SHe has such an excellent grasp at these small pieces I am impressed!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I would say start with cheerios and go from there. If she does well with those than you can move on to things that are slightly larger but allow her to determine the size- for example we used these natural teething biscuits and they were larger and he would only take what he could handle at the time. Of course never leave her with the food, she may be daring enough to try more.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Should I start with softened cheerios OR would that be defeating the purpose?

I'm just worried she's going to choke on this stuff but I do want her to try them...
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Our lo likes the Gerber puffs shaped like wheels, big enough for her to hold and they pretty much dissolve in her mouth so she hasn't gagged.

How old should they be when they start this kind of stuff?
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    Our lo likes the Gerber puffs shaped like wheels, big enough for her to hold and they pretty much dissolve in her mouth so she hasn't gagged.
    these are great - my lo loves these and they are easier like you said - dissolves faster than cheerios
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

My pedi said our lo could start finger foods at 6mos. and rec'd puffs and cheerios & teething biscuits. She did advise to stay away from the teething toast type stuff because it's more likely to break off in chunks. I'm sure every one is different though. I liked starting with the puffs because they dissolve the quickest, so they felt the safest.

My DS is 9 mo and loves the teething biscuits (very messy but fun) He has tried the gerber wheels but he does not care for them, it may just be the apple flavor. However, he loves real apple chunks
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Yeah - I'd go with the puffs, puffed rice, cheerios and the like before I moved to things like crackers. especailly saltines, they're a bit dry.

Great finger food ideas here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.