Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: soo anoyed!

Default soo anoyed!

hi all

i have a 12 and half mth old and i love breastfeeding, i know its best for my baby etc

latly people have been making comments like "ewe that would be gross to feed to 2years" and comments like u should wean jacob as soon as hes walking!

and today my cousin and my guy mate were looking at my la leche womanly art book and made a comment about how it says something about emptying the breast and i just looked at them and said, " hey that book is very useful espically when u have a problem! oooo it anoyed me because because its true ur breast will neva be empty there will always be milk there.

they dnt understand that breastfeeding is mre then feeding, its a comfort thing for baby and its good for jacobs development and brain development etc.

i will wean when im ready too!! we are naturally weaning now hes down to one to two feeds, and i love going to la leche meetings and im encourging my pregnant friends to breastfeed

it shocks me when people dont even wana try to breastfeed! like not even once!!

they just dnt understand because they never had kids.. breastfeeding is a emontial thing too

sorry to ramble on but i just needed to get it out..

and the world wide health organisation says its good to feed to two years

and jakes pead is very pleased that im breastfeeding, he said thats excellent and that just lifted my spirts when he said that, it made me smile

made me feel sooo good
    im soo glad that have done my goal
    (my goal was to breastfeed for the 1st year) and i did it!

my partner supports me breastfeeding

but yeah sorry to make this long

Default Re: soo anoyed!

Hi
    My son, Ash, is nearly 21 months old and has no intention of giving up his 'milk'.
    Must admit I'm proud to tell people I still feed him although I no longer feed him in public, mainly because he doesn't need it and yes because of comments I may get, he's a little big to hide under my top!
    I do find that I am still very pro breast feeding and always will be. I have not had any negative comments myself but I do believe that unless you have done this other people don't understand and get embarassed.
    Carry on feeding and enjoy. Also, be very proud of yourself.
    Take care

Congrats on passing your 1 year goal! Keep on nursing momma! Try not to let others get you down. It's hard sometimes, but you are still doing what is best!

I've heard all the comments. I just smile and try to act as confident as I can even though sometimes I don't feel too confident. I do nurse my 40 month old in public. I don't want to make him feel that there is something wrong with asking. In our culture, it's sure difficult for a woman to breastfeed in public. You just have to do what you feel is best.

-Lauren

I always though breastfeeding an infant was a beautiful thing, but I'll admit that before I was a mother, I said at least once, "If they're old enough to ask, they are too old." I was rather grossed out when, after having a nice long conversation with a tiny person at a party, he turned around and curled up under his mom's shirt for a drink. I was ignorant.. stupid even. I am very greatful to that mom and others who nursed in front of me before I had a baby. If I hadn't seen that, I would have been so lost and embarrassed about breastfeeding and my own maternal instincts. My daughter is now over two and LOVES nursies. She tends to use both of them, so we don't nurse in public anymore, but we ARE public about our nursing. She sure is old enough to ask for it.

Lauren, I just read your book. It's great. Do me a favor and write another one as Mez weans .

Julie

i hear ya
    isnt ewww when people make ignorant comments.....you know what right and thats what mtters.

the world avg. is something like 4yrs old for feeding
    i have friends that nurse their 4/5 yr olds to sleep....i hope i do
    i live in the far north.....some of the elders fed till they were 10....in greenland(in the past) when a man came back from hunting (the men and their wives stayed with his fam) the first thing he would do was feed from his ma.

Julie (awnja) makes a really good point. I have in the past thought that seeing older children nursing was wrong. Mainly when I was growing up on Long Island. But I spent 9 years in Ithaca where it isn't uncommen to see an older child nursing. So I guess I too should be thankful to the many women who nursed their older children in front of me. Because of them, I learned that it was normal. I also saw so many people using baby slings in Ithaca that I knew that I wanted one when I had a baby. Thanks for the positive feedback on the book. I have thought about doing another book as Mez weans. But it's been so gradual. He pretty much only nurses to sleep at night and when he is hurt or very scared. In fact, we were just outside taking pictures (not for a book, just because) and I asked if he would nurse so we could take a picture. He agreed, but back when I was taking pictures for the book, I never had to ask him to nurse.

kay- I see you are up in Nunavut. My sister-in-law is in medical school and will be doing a rotation up in Nunavut soon. I can't wait to visit.

-Lauren