Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you respond to someone who thinks..

Default Re: How do you respond to someone who thinks..

DD will be 2 in 2 wks and I swear she nurses more now that a year ago Anyway, when in public I think I'm too busy trying to keep her feet out of my face to notice any weird glances or stares! One thing I have noticed is people trying to get a look at her face while nursing! I think that others assume she's just laying in my lap and not nursing due to her size/age. It's funny, I have to tell people that she's just resting so they'll be quiet - so DD won't turn toward them to see what's going on (with a mouthful of nip-OW!). Unless we're super busy and in a hurry, I'll stop to nurse her hoping to make a statement &/or be a role model for other moms.

I am really not big on nursing in public. Hopefully I will get better by the time I have another one. But recently we were flying and DD (17 months) was having a fit. She has flown before and been fine. I think she was just tired. So, I tried to nurse which is not easy in those small seats with a 17 month old! DH was sitting beside me and blocked out most of it. But I did ask the flight attendant for a drink. He noticably was trying to avoid looking at me. I could tell he was uncomfortable but he never said or did anything. Just got me my drink. I think the more people do it in public the more common it will seem and people will not get uncomfortable. No one has ever said anything to me about nursing.

I remember the first time I ever saw someone else nursing in public was when DD was about 9 months old. I was at lunch with my supervisor and as we were leaving the restaurant I saw another woman nursing a baby not more than a few months old. I think I did do a double take. I remember thinking wow that is awesome. I wish I could be more like that. It is hard telling what this women thought I was thinking!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I FIND IT increasingly difficult to NIP due to distracted baby and low supply. I will do it if she really wants to but most time she waits till we get home and then still gets distracted. Tries to stand up, nurse upside down, smiles at my breasts and says MIlK, latches on and off etc! If she would sit still and actually drink, I would be more than willing to nurse her wherever.

I have been walking a weird line internally since he was about 16-18months old?

I want to do it because I want to normalize it, but at the same time I am conscientious of NEW mothers in a lot of the spaces I hang out in, and don't want to freak them out. Because I know that as ignorant as it is, it is VERY COMMON for them to think things like "OMG!!! I don't want to be her!"
    So I have found that as DJ has gotten older we have set limits that pertain MOSTLY to indoors. Last time I NIP was a few months out at a park. But I was with Serena and I was feeling brave.

I DO however go up to ANY mother I see doing it and give props. Most recently at Whole Foods to a woman how clearly sat down at the 1st seat she found. Which happened to be right by the elevator to the the parking lot!!

Way too lazy for formula

Uh...this is a response that I wrote for another thread????that somehow showed up here???Whatever.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; May 1st, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

No qualms about doing it and no notice of the reactions of others. I personally think that they way you feel about it internally comes across to people around you. So if you project a feeling of discomfort, then people around you will pick up on that and reflect it back to you. I have yet to get a negative reaction from anyone...but then again, I haven't noticed.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Don't do that. What if they agree and then don't leave? They just paid the rent late didn't they? Offer them ONE month free, if they get out in two. Get the money they own you for this month TODAY. And tell them if they have a place line up by the end of the month, they aren't on the hook for next month and an take their time getting out. If you offer up two months free today, they will live there for two months free and then tell you all the reasons they can't leave.
    Give them motivation. And get some money.

Way too lazy for formula