Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you respond to someone who thinks..

Default How do you respond to someone who thinks..

that we are crazy for breast feeding in public?

I am more curious about what the Mothers that have older babies think about this question?!

I am BFing my daughter at almost 6 mons. and I am already hearing & seeing people's opinions on their faces. It amazes me how people react when they see me feeding her in public..it's usually either one way or the other. I try to just not pay much attention, for fear that someone may cross the line and say something inappropriate.

Tell me some incidents or some feelings that you have on the subject

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: How do you respond to someone who thinks..

My LO will be 2 in July and I still nurse her in public. No one has ever said anything negative to me about it except for family members. Personally, I've never had an issue with nursing in public even now with extended nursing being so taboo. I kinda like it actually so I can show people the way things should be.
    Last edited by Casey; April 28th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

MY daughter turned 2 on the 15th. When she was little, I was more aware of people's stares, glances, etc. Now that she is older, honestly, I don't even notice.

I guess I just figure that our nursing is our business and if someone does not like it then they are welcome not to watch. I am a pretty discreet nurser as is my daughter so it is easy for us to blow off people who stare or disapprove.

My standard reply, if anyone comments to the negative, is a very pleasant, "Thanks but I did not ask for your opinion." I say it with a full smile on my face, I see no reason to be rude or unpleasant, but I do think it is perfectly ok to tell someone that I am not interested in their thoughts.

Good luck mama! In my experience, I cared less and less what people thought as my daughter got older.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Last week I was flying back home after visiting my parents and as usual DS latched on at take off and drifted to sleep through the fly (around 2 hrs), most of the time still attached to the breast.
    A couple was sitting 1 row in front, across the aisle, and they were commenting about my boy (thinking I wouldn't understand, don't know why ); anyway, they were all compliments (see, he looks like a doll, how cute he is, look at his cute socks, did you see how big blue eyes, and so on).
    then the girl started guessing his age, she was saying "he must be 8 or 9 mo", but the man interrupted her "no, that is not possible, she breastfed him all flight long, he must be 5 mo, 6 months tops..." DS had babbled and stood on my legs the last 20 minutes of the flight, playing with eevrything and waving 'bye' to all the people, he must have been the smartest, most advanced 6mo they have ever seen!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto3 View Post
    MY daughter turned 2 on the 15th. When she was little, I was more aware of people's stares, glances, etc. Now that she is older, honestly, I don't even notice.

Good luck mama! In my experience, I cared less and less what people thought as my daughter got older.
    Yes!

I nursed my 27 month old ds at a bowling alley on Saturday and I didn't even notice if anyone noticed us. Too busy looking at my sweet ds.

I don't respond - I stopped worrying about what other people think about me years ago! Of course if someone actually tried to stop me I'd say something back, but I haven't had that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsavocet View Post
    I don't respond - I stopped worrying about what other people think about me years ago! Of course if someone actually tried to stop me I'd say something back, but I haven't had that experience.

I can handle looks and stares all day long (though I've never had any that I interpreted as negative) If they were to actually say something I'm sure I'd inform them of a few of the benefits for baby as well as me and wish them good day
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have never been approached by anyone or even stared at inappropriately. But if I ever do I'm sure I'd say something back in a smarta$$ way. I will admit there are a couple times where I wished someone would say something I'm sure it will be fun
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Lo nurses on demand, when ever where ever and we will be one year in 2 weeks. I haven't ever really noticed negative attitude nor do I care. I think you feel more on edge with your first and as time and more babies you stop worrying. i have never had anyone comment negative but I have had positive comments. Just know that everyones eats out, that includes baby
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

My son is 21 months and we nurse in public--at the zoo, airport, park, at daycare, museums. I've never had an unkind word. Or even strange glances. And this kid asks for it by name and loudly, "Nurse!"

I also like to think I'm helping nursing older babies more usual. But I think most folks don't notice. When I mention it in conversation I get more surprised looks, but then I'm in a place to talk about bfing.

he's home!